Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mud job on slab

Options
gio
gio Member Posts: 7
I have a exisisting slab on grade home and i want to add radiant heat on the slab and cover it with a 2" mud job to level the floor and add tile. Is there any suggestions on how i should go about doing it with some type of barrier insulation or to put the tubing directly to the concrete slab and cover it with the mud job.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    High density XPS insulation...

and as LITTLE R value placed over the top of it. You can get 1/2" thick XHEPS. That will leave 1-1/2" worth of cement, which is acceptable in most cases. Don't forget to isolate the edges as well.

How do you intend to tie the tube down? Flat steel wire mesh?

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • gio
    Options
    ME

what is XHEPS?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    XHEPS =..

Extra Heavy Extruded Poly Styrene.

Dow makes numerous insulation density products. You want one that will NOT crush or move under load, because if it does, your over pour will echo the cracks.

Here is a link to their residential products. THey make a fan fold or 1/2" or 3/8" products. Not sure of you can get it in the 25PSI version, but if you can, that's what I'd recommend you use.

http://insulation.owenscorning.com/assets/0/428/429/440/abc7a0e2-d579-4657-bff1-0e5de3a41baa.pdf

Good luck.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • gio
    Options
    mud job on slab

Thanks ME
This discussion has been closed.