Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

? WITH INDIRECT HOT WATER VENTING

QQ1
QQ1 Member Posts: 2
I HAVE JUST HAD AN INDIRECT HOT WATER HEATER INSTALLED IN MY FINISHED BASEMENT AND AM FINDING IT TO BE VERY WARM DOWN THERE, EVEN WITH THE WINDOWS OPEN.  I ALSO NOTICED WHAT SEEMS LIKE A LOT OF HEAT COMING FROM THE VENT.  IS THIS NORMAL TO HAVE THE BOILER RELEASING THAT MUCH HEAT INTO THE ROOM? YOU CAN LITERALLY FEEL IT WHEN YOU OPEN THE DOOR AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR AN HELP ANYONE CAN PROVIDE!

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    how did

you get your domestic hot water before? Sounds like the boiler used to be a cold start heat only boiler, and now it is making hot water as well? 
  • QQ1
    QQ1 Member Posts: 2
    QQ1

YES. THAT IS CORRECT.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Normal

Yes. Your experiencing the heat loss off the flue pipe which is normal for a typical 80% single pass boiler. That stack temp has to go somewhere and it goes up the chimney and out to the room.

You've never experienced it before because your boiler was never running in the off heating season.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    something...

doesn't sound right.... Is it wired properly? Sounds like it is just bouncing off limit all the time? Got any pict of the install?
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    What vent?

Heat coming from where? I agree, picture and indicate where this heat is coming from. If by vent you mean draft hood, shut the system down immediately. Maybe there is a venting issue that the boiler doesn't draft in warm weather which is backing up combustion products in your house. Or the neighborhood Condor built a nest in your flue.

Be careful!
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    What vent?

Heat coming from where? I agree, picture and indicate where this heat is coming from. If by vent you mean draft hood, shut the system down immediately. Maybe there is a venting issue that the boiler doesn't draft in warm weather which is backing up combustion products in your house. Or the neighborhood Condor built a nest in your flue.

Be careful!
This discussion has been closed.