Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler exhaust piping

Options
Bill H.
Bill H. Member Posts: 30
Non-condensing power vented ( side exhaust ) boilers I am considering require an annual removal of the vent connected to the inducer fan outlet to check for any soot buildup as part of preventive maintenance. Their manuals don't specify how this is accomplished, and it seems to me that the sealed integrity of the vent system would be disturbed. Is there a special beginning connector assembly to facilitate disconnect without undoing several sections? What can I contractually specify to address this?    Thanks for any suggestions,  Bill

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Is this power vented

by design from the factory or is it a retrofit? A picture would help so a proper answer can be given. This is normally something that would be a part of the annual maintenance call when doing a combustion test the CO reading would be a good indicator of sooting issues. The hole for testing is drilled after the power venter by the way.

I re-read your posting is this a power venter or an inducer as they are two different things? A power venter has positive pressure after the power venter an inducers job is to simply overcome the internal resistance of the boiler or furnace the venting after the inducer can be standard single wall or double wall pipe which is very easy to remove and check.The reason is the vent is at a negative pressure -,01, -.02, -.03 etc.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Cleanout

You can pipe in a tee with a cleanout plug. Then you can avoid breaking apart pipes and fittings during the maintenance.
  • Bill H.
    Bill H. Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Reply to Tim

Both boilers come with inducer fans ( W-M CGi-4E, Burnham PVG4 ).
This discussion has been closed.