Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco power heads

Seems they can come in different colors even though they are the same 555-050RP model number. Is this right?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Colored Heads:

40 years ago, they were Taco Green. They changed many years ago to a gold color. I haven't seen anything yet that wasn't gold. Perhaps they have a new color scheme but I haven't seen it yeet.
  • Cruisinfanatic
    Cruisinfanatic Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2011
    taco

some green ones sold on Ebay very cheap ($20)
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    The iceman has been around longer than me, but...

Be leery of the green ones. Maybe Mr. John Hazen White or one of his guys will chime in. They haven't done green ones in at least 30 something years. Still a few of them on the shelves when I started in the trade over 25 years ago. I haven't seen them since other than on old systems.
  • Cruisinfanatic
    Cruisinfanatic Member Posts: 28
    taco

Won't buy any green ones then even though they are new
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    On those green heads

be careful if they are the old plastic heads those were known to have melt down. The metal green have an exposed end switch versus the gold which uses a microswitch. The metal green with exposed end switch contacts sometimes would cause chattering of the relay contacts by rapidly making and breaking. Go with the Gold they are reliable
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Green Heads:

They also don't have the safety plate on the bottom where if the plunger fires out because you didn't wait the required 2 minutes AFTER you removed the #1 wire from the power head, and you were looking at the head from the bottom, it could shoot you right between the eyes and kill you. That's why the plate.

I have to wonder where on E-Bay, someone found "new" power heads that were green and hadn't been made in over 30 years.
This discussion has been closed.