Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-McLain GV-4 leaking

Cruisinfanatic
Cruisinfanatic Member Posts: 28
Definitely coming from the relief valve and was replaced a few months ago.

Now it's leaking again. I honestly am not sure if it ever stopped leaking.

The thing is, I've never seen the pressure in the system go over 25 PSI at top temperature.

A bad valve again???? 

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited August 2011
    extrol tank

I never trust a guage on a boiler, I alway's hook my own to the boiler. I would test and or replace the tank (extrol 30), check the pressure reducing valve (water supply to the boiler aka 911s or fastfill) and replace the P.R.V again..Even though it's probably fine I hate having to return because something is under the valve seat..The only other thought would be if the unit is over heating, but that would generally create other systems...
  • Cruisinfanatic
    thanks

I'll work on your recommendations. What do you recommend for the proper heat setting?
  • lchmb
    you shouldnt

You shouldnt have to change the high limit. I believe it is factory set for that unit at 180 degrees. It is something to keep in mind if the expansion tank and feed valve are both functioning properly.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    expansion tank

I agree 100%.

I've seen where a pressure relief kept dripping and we found the expansion tank full of water because the diaphragm had a hole in it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Cruisinfanatic
    Weil-McLain GV-4 leaking

I replace the thing because it was full of water. What I probably didn't do is buy a large enough one. 
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    check it

I would remove the replacement and just double check that its working right.  Things sometimes are defective right out of the box.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • lchmb
    If

If you had a 60 and replaced it with a 30 that could be part of your problem. Another thing to check is the fill valve for the boiler. If it is malfunctioning and adding more water to the boiler cold this will give you a leaking P.R.V...Good luck...
  • Cruisinfanatic

Don't think that's it because when the system is cool, the pressure goes down to the valve setting
  • lchmb
    guage...

You mentioned the P.R.V is leaking at 25lbs. So if when it's cold it goes back to 12lb and the guage is off (guessing here of course)  by 5lbs (that what the valve should leak at) then your actually at 17lbs cold...hence over filled...

again, start by checking the tank pressure, by removing the tank from the system and removing any water from it. And if you had an extrol 60 to start and replaced it with the smaller 30, that could be part of your issue..how about a pic of your system?
  • Cruisinfanatic

I had an amtrol 30 on it and replaced with a smaller Watts ext-15 tank.

I'll change it.
  • lchmb
    check

make sure to check the new tanks pressure...;)
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Do you have an indirect?

If you had a pinhole in your indirect coil, the higher pressure domestic water could make its way into the hydronic system and cause the relief valve to leak.

Turn off the feeder valve. Place a pressure gauge on the drain valve and see if the pressure rises in the boiler. Don't trust the tridicator.

Just another thought for you to consider.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Leaking Gold:

I've always considered it a No-No to replace an Extrol with a smaller one. In fact, I often change a #30 for a #60. AND replace the fill valve. I only use Brass Watts 9-11 combo units. The brass ones don't plug up with iron/rust and cause a no fill situation. At a minimum, put a #30 back and set the pressure properly.
  • Cruisinfanatic

I replaced the small tank with the larger. Checked pressure first and it was almost 20LBS. What's with that?

Let 7-8 LBS out.

Now my pressure stays low

Thanks for all the replies
This discussion has been closed.