Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Switching the "gun"

Options
JasonB74
JasonB74 Member Posts: 3
Hello everyone. This is my first post....

I recently had my annual checkup on my home heating system. My oil company told me that I need a new oil tank. Its not leaking oil but it is damp to the touch. I am getting a second opinion on the whole thing tonight after work. The tank is in the basement of my house and it looks like its impossible to get the old tank out let alone get a new tank in.

My boiler is less than 5 years old and I was hesitant to switch to gas because of this. The new boiler was installed by the previous home owner so its not a total loss if I decide to switch.

I called my gas company and they told me its free to bring the line into the house. I was also told that I may be able to switch the "gun" on my current boiler so that I can convert to gas and not pay thousands of dollars for a new boiler. I am not at home now so I cant look to see the name of the boiler but I know that it was replaced right before I moved into the house in 2008.

Does anyone know about switching the "gun" on my current boiler?

TIA

Jason

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    They are talking about converting your existing

oil burner "gun" which is actually called an oil power burner to a gas power burner. This can be done but obviously by a professional who is well versed in such a conversion. It would help to know the make of the boiler so a proper matching of a gas power burner can be done.

Once that is determined it would be a fairly simple process for your gas power burner installer to accomplish. Make sure who ever you hire has done conversions before and also will accomplish a combustion test upon completion of the installation.
  • JasonB74
    Options
    Thank you for the response

Someone else mentioned that I would need to get a new liner for my chimney if I decided to switch over this way.

Do you know about this?

Thank you,

Jason
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    That is a possibility

depending on the chimneys condition. If it is unlined then definitely it will need a liner. It could however have a clay tile liner in place. If it is in good shape it should be okay.
  • JasonB74
    Options
    Thank you

Thank you for your feedback..

Jason
This discussion has been closed.