Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pickup factor

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
I'm curious whether or not the 1.33 pickup factor assumes uninsulated risers in between floors?

I have risers going from the basement to the second floor and of course they are not insulated and probably won't be for some time if ever.  Should I assume a 1.5 pickup factor for this?  This is a single pipe system.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Greg Maxwell
    Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Pick up

I think 25% is more than adequate, unless you have something extremely uncommon.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    1.33 might be too much

I believe the 1.33 assumes nothing is insulated but i could be mistaken. Assuming this is an old house, the sizing of the system may have assumed open windows in the bedrooms during the winter months.

Dan wrote a pieces a few years back arguing for undersizing (slightly) rather than oversizing boilers. Perhaps someone on the wall can point you to that article.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Thats it!

thanks for the legwork, that is the one I was thinking of. It makes you think just how large a boiler you really do need.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.