Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler replacement with radiant and hot water baseboard

Im looking at a boiler replaceemnt job. The way the system is now ther are two 1/1/4 supplys and 3 returns. 2 returns are 1/1/4 and the third is 1/1/2. Its a primary/secondary piping arrangement. Problem is the radiant and baseboard are mixed and go out one 1/1/4 supply and come back as 7 individual returns. The same 7 supply branches are located upstairs in a closet.(inaccessable) All you can see is the pec cocks. I wanted to split up the piping and put baseboard all on one supply and keep the radiant seperate, and run it at a lower temp. As it stands now either the radiant will operate at bb temp or bb will operate at radiant temp. How can I balnce this sytem without opening up walls and repiping everything. Im looking to clean up the boiler room piping and balance the heat. They complain the house is very warm. They have two taco pumps on each of the returns (2) and 4 thermostats. I cant come up with a better solution than whats there can u?? please help Thanks MIke 

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    system upgrade

Mike, it sounds like quite a challenge you have there. My suggestion would be to do am accurate heat loss of the house and sketch out the existing system as best you can and then sit down with a good heatingguy either from the field or from a supply house and CAREFULLY consider your options. The piping sizes alone make we wonder what was done. How big is this place that it needs piping that big.

The best advise I can give you, and I've done this a few times in my career of over 50 years, is too carefully consider how to fix this system, and if you can't come up with a workable solution, don't be afraid to walk away from it. If you tackle this without a good workable plan, it could haunt you for the rest of your career. Every time I have walked away from a job,another popped up to replace it.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but from your description of this system, I would be very careful.....good luck.
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    system upgrade

Mike, it sounds like quite a challenge you have there. My suggestion would be to do am accurate heat loss of the house and sketch out the existing system as best you can and then sit down with a good heatingguy either from the field or from a supply house and CAREFULLY consider your options. The piping sizes alone make we wonder what was done. How big is this place that it needs piping that big.

The best advise I can give you, and I've done this a few times in my career of over 50 years, is too carefully consider how to fix this system, and if you can't come up with a workable solution, don't be afraid to walk away from it. If you tackle this without a good workable plan, it could haunt you for the rest of your career. Every time I have walked away from a job,another popped up to replace it.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but from your description of this system, I would be very careful.....good luck.
This discussion has been closed.