Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Posting.

Jean-David Beyer
Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
There have been several post lately on the timeout after which you have to log in again. This happens to me once in a  while, but is not normally a problem for me, except when the following problem occurs, which is almost all the time.

When typing in the "Post Content" window, it accepts only about one character per second. Now I type a lot faster than that. It drives me nuts because I can be two lines ahead of what it displays only to see typing errors that far back. This does not happen on other web sites.

I use a 3.6.18 Firefox web browser on a Linux machine. The machine has two Intel 3.06 GHz hyperthreaded processors and has 8 GBytes of RAM. It is nowhere near out of RAM, and should have enough compute power. But when I am typing, it uses 100% of one of the CPUs; <strong>I do not type that fast.</strong> So your input window must be doing something that slows me down a whole lot, and wastes an entire processor in the process.This is not new. It has always done this with your web site.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    I'm not having that problem.

Letters are appearing for me right now as quickly as they would if I were using Word. I haven't heard of this problem from anyone else, and would love to hear if others are experiencing the same thing.

This site is on its own server at Rackspace, so no one else is crowding us.

Anyone else having problems?
    Retired and loving it.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Me either

I have posted from 3 different computers--home, office, laptop....

Sometimes,  I'll leave the page up while writing, get distracted and come back 15 minutes later--never timed out.

Also, I type fast.....keeps up like any other word processor etc., and it posts in less then 6 seconds, regardless of computer or internet service.

I do have a problem with the math.....How come I always get a  (number) minus '0'? lol..I know I can subtract 2 whole numbers...even add them....lol. 

Just kidding, like I said, everything is working fine on my end
    steve
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I do not think it is a problem with your servers.

What is happening displays its symptoms at my end. With a Linux system, the OS kernel takes care of the basic hardware stuff. A separate process runs the X window system that puts up the graphic interface, the windows, buttons, menus, sliders, follows the mouse around and that kind of thing. It is a separate process. When it is in the "bad mode", it is the X windowing system that is hogging all the processor time. I suppose that could be what is in trouble. But it is what is used at other web sites as well. It seems, but I cannot prove it, that when it is doing this, that it may be told to redraw the entire screen for each character I type, and that could use a lot of computer time. And I guess (but also cannot prove)  that other web sites do not do this on their input screens.

It happens that right now, it is following my typing pretty well, but using a lot (almost 100%) of a CPU. I just opened another window to The Motley Fool and typed into their web site. That site has no trouble following my typing, and typing uses so little CPU time that I do not detect it. I wonder how many Linux users you have? They may be the only ones with this problem. I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7 at the moment.

I wonder what it is about Heating Help that it requires so much processor time to input characters typed by a human.
  • Interceptor
    Interceptor Member Posts: 46
    time out

I don't post a lot, but every time I do it seems like if it take me more than a minute or two to type my post I need to log in again. Using Firefox on Vista.I haven't had a problem with slow text.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    test..

I opened a window and left it open for 15 minutes with no problems...  Never noticed an issue with typing either (unless you count my spelling errors)..
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I time out all the time...

But then again, my posts tend to be longer than most.

I've just gotten use to having to log back in and do the math twice. I was going to mention something about it,but didn't want to find out it was MY fault, and not the boards.

What is the allowable time before one has to redo his do do?

As for slow typing, the older I get, the slower I type. Occasionally, the letters are slow to go but I suspect it is a problem on my end, and not Dan's end. When I start seeing the Macintosh Wheel of Wait (whirling rainbow/pinwheel) I know it is something on my side of the wall...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I do a lot of posting

and get distracted and have to walk away. When I come back everything is still there. I also use a main frame a PC and also two different laptops. Never had a problem. I just find it is slow in finally posting after I hit "submit post". I think this is what causes some to double post sometimes. You just have to wait as it finally does post.
This discussion has been closed.