Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buffer tank piping diagram

Leo_G
Leo_G Member Posts: 89
Hey anyone out there have a schematic of the piping layout for a top supply to system, bottom return, side supply from boiler, three hole buffer tank application?

Thanx in advance

Leo G

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    edited July 2011
    by 3 port

do you mean a port mid way up on the side of the tank? Or about 10- 12" up , which is common on DHW storage vessels.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Leo_G
    Leo_G Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2011
    Hot rod

I have been perusing the B-W storage tanks as one choice, but would prefer to find something with no dip tubes, so one opening on the top (system out), one at the bottom (boiler return and maybe the system return on a tee to this pipe?) and one I would hazard to guess within the top third of the tank on the side (boiler supply). Does this sound feasible?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    there are a few

brands of buffer specific tanks on the market. I'm most familiar with this one. It has seven 2" ports scattered around the tank and a few 3/4" on top, anode rods can be added here if the tank is used for DHW, and a 3/4 drain cock.

It can be used as a buffer with the ability to pipe in at the mid tank port. It also can serve as a super sized hydro separator.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.