Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Terrible news

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
Just learned of the shooting of five good people. Two are dead, including a child.

Here's the link: <a href="http://www.philly.com/philly/news/124941029.html">http://www.philly.com/philly/news/124941029.html</a>

I wrote about Paul and Joe Shay in the June issue of Plumbing & Mechanical. Here's that story:

<a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/183/Plumbing-Mechanical-articles/2105/Paul-and-Joe-June-2011">http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/183/Plumbing-Mechanical-articles/2105/Paul-and-Joe-June-2011</a>

Senseless.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    So sad

I'm sorry to hear of this terrible news. My prayers go out to all that have been affected by this tragedy.
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • John Barba
    John Barba Member Posts: 166
    Tragic...

Unbelievable when violence hits home like this...its a struggle to find the words....
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Our sympathy and prayers

go out to all those involved. It is so tragic when adults die but even worse when it is a child.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Just horrific

What in the world is gained by such senseless violence? I'll never understand why man is so cruel and heartless.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Tragic loss...

I remember Paul coming here to post on occasion. Always had nothing but god to say.

Our condolences to the survivors and family members,,,

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Very sad to hear

Like John said , there's a loss of words for this tragedy ..........
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Our Thoughts

Our thoughts and prayers are with the families
  • DanHolohan
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Paul Shay

Paul's company, A Real Good Plumber, is a competitor of mine, Gateway Plumbing and Heating.

Last week, I had the pleasure of taking his call to confirm what he knew to be a recent code change and we wound up talking, as we tend to, for 20 minutes or so about the state of the industry and our own businesses and challenges. It ended up with us deciding to make arrangements to go out for a cup of coffee or lunch near summer's end and inviting the owners of our other closest residential service competitors: the highly-respected companies of Vigilante Plumbing and Aladdin Plumbing.

Paul is the kind of guy who embraces his competitors and welcomes the opportunities a healthy professional environment brings to the table. I've never heard him badmouth a soul and the word fair can be defined by his business practices.

I don't know how one moves on after a tragedy like the one my friend Paul is suffering, but I do know that we being professional peers makes me better at all that I do as he continues to assure me that in this business we are often in the company of uniquely inspiring people.

My best thoughts and prayers to all,

John Cataneo
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    A shame

It sounds like Paul was trying to help out, he is a real good man and a real good plumber. We are thinking about him and his family.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steve Bukosky_2
    Steve Bukosky_2 Member Posts: 12
    To be remembered

I don't know them but through Dan's article. But they are one of our own. There isn't much that I can say but that I'm passing both articles around the store for people to know of them and of the tragedy.

Steve Bukosky

Gustave A. Larson Co.

Wisconsin
  • DanHolohan
    edited July 2011
    Thanks.

Paul posts here all the time and advertises with us in the Find a Contractor section.

A few years ago, we had one of our Big Ugly get togethers. This one was in NYC's East Village and John Cataneo put it together. Those of you who were there that fine evening might remember Paul and Monica.

She's in very, very bad shape.
    Retired and loving it.
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Horrible

My wife walked in with the NY Times article when she recognized Paul's name. Terrible, terrible news.

During the terrible snow storm last December, my boiler went on the fritz. One of his guys came out in the snow and took care of the problem. Later, Paul called me from Florida to make sure everything was fixed and working. A genuinely nice person.

I can only hope that everyone recovers.
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)
    Dave Yates (GrandPAH) Member Posts: 281
    stunned

Hard to read the account & prayers for the survivors.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    very sad news

he was from my neck of the woods. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families
  • DanHolohan
    Paul's wife

Paul's wife, Monica, passed away today. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Condolences

Please accept my condolences. I'll continue to pray for Paul and his family.
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Tragic

We're praying for Paul and his family.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.