Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

are boiler vents interchangebale?

NJGas
NJGas Member Posts: 5
Hi, I am in the process of installing a vitodens 100, i would like to substitute the vitodens concentric vent with any other concentric vent of the same size, reason : lot cheaper

Vitodens 100 vent spec: 60/100 mm

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks in advanced

Sorry for double posts... internet is very sloooow

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    That's a No Go

If you're referring to PVC, then the answer is no. Viessman does not  approve using PVC venting with their boilers.

If it was a boiler that is approved for PVC, then I would say it probably would not be a problem since almost every PVC concentric kit that I've gotten has been exactly the same.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited June 2011
    2-Pipe

Don't use the coaxial. Viessmann offers a 2" rigid PPs. The pipe is the same pipe that is used inside the Coaxil. You can then use what ever you want for fresh air. Pop out one of the knockouts on the top and use PVC for the fresh air. The PPs is not expensive at all. Your in NJ and so am I. Curious as to where you got the boiler.

The concentric is made by M&G and they bring it in from across the pond. M&G does not offer concentric other then thru OEM.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • NJGas
    1st, thank for the replies...

The vitodens 100 WB1B is a condensing unit. so i guess this :

cgi.ebay.com/Biasi-Riva-Standard-Concentric-Vent-Kit-/220678214671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336172540f    will be fine, correct me if i am wrong but 2.5/4" = 60/100mm ?

The reason i need to use a concentric vent is i am also installing a rinnai tankless water heater, so i'd rather have 2 vent holes than 3 or 4 .

This is my first boiler installation, I got the unit from pexsupply online website, i am converting from oil so i decided to go with decent boiler, and after few searches, reviews .. i picked the viessmann, i had to design my setup of boiler and water heater, and i am also splitting my house into 2 zones.

i am located in morris county, if you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask...
  • CMadatMe
    edited June 2011
    No

I am the local distributor of Viesssmann in the territory. You own the vent system and any problems caused by not using an approved vent system. Viessmann purchases and boxes the Coaxial from across the pond and ships it into the US with the boilers. If you are a trade contractor be more then happy to quote you the Viessmann venting. Viessmann inner is not 2.5". Please see page 17 of the attached. I'd also be curious as to the serial number of that boiler. Its on the white label on the left hand side on the outer side of the boiler cabinet not the serial number on the plate that is on the heat exchanger.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • NJGas
    Chris...

Thanks for the explanation... How do i contact you incase i need some help in the future with the boiler? you know... things can happend...
  • CMadatMe
    Click on Contact User

Just click on contact user and send me an e-mail.
  • NJGas
    will do...

here is a site if anyone interested in knowing PVC ID and OD sizes:

http://www.harvel.com/pipepvc-sch40-80-dim.asp
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    baxi

I used a piece of baxi coaxial venting in my own house, it was left over from a job and I was going quite a distance (12 ft or so) and was just short on the viessmann venting so I used it. It looks almost identical to the viessmann and is the same materials: PPS inner and enameled aluminum outer. I really don't see what the problem would be using it but you would probably be putting yourself out on a limb if anything went wrong.
  • CMadatMe
    Exactly

Zach hits the nail on the head. As professionals, we owe you the consumer/homeowner the best and proper advice. This is America and you can do what you want, but be assured, you own the boiler and the vent system if you use another mfg's venting on the boiler.
This discussion has been closed.