Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

smoking boiler

STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
Good eve. Just finished putting in steam boiler (slant fin gxha-100). Upon firing there was smoke coming from under the boiler. This was not steam or water vapor. My eyes started to burn after a few moments. I shut down the boiler and am planning on going back tomorrow. I took a quick look under the boiler and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in the fire box. Is this normal and if not what would the cause be? Thank you.

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    paint or refractory burning in.

It might just be paint on parts exposed to the heat or it might be refractory burning in.
  • AFred
    AFred Member Posts: 81
    smokin in the basement

Slant-fin loves to thow a bunch of oil on the heat exchanger to keep the cast iron from rusting while it sits in the crate. Wait till its done smoking before you do your combustion test.

-Andy
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    It's just the Gnu burning off the boiler...

This too shall come to pass....

Poor Gnu...:-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    thanks

I am going back today. Will let you know what happens
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    update

Went back today and ran boiler for 2 hours. Almost no smoke or smell after the 2 hours.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Gnome or Gnu eh...

Couldn't pass it up;-)

Glad you got it resolved...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Thanks

thanks
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    edited June 2011
    Another Linux or BSD user, I guess.

I could not pass that up either.

It might be interesting to see if a greater proportion of the people on this site use an alternative to Windows on their computers than in the general population. But it is really too far off-topic to bother with. I imagine Dan's webmaster could get the statistics automatically if there were any need for them.
This discussion has been closed.