Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

off topic,?on a shower????????????

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
a friend has an old kohler shower .two controls for shower and two controls for tub.shower head is dripping.i changed the stem and barrel but still drips.im looking for a shower head that can stop the drip but was told they dont make it.anyone know why.she is moving in 2 weeks and doesnt want to change shower.i cant find a 100% shut of valve for shower head.pulling my hair out on this one.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Cannot Put A 100 % Positive

Shut-off on a shower head. Its anti-scald protection against someone leaving the hot water vavle completely on and shutting off at the head. 
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Kohler Showers:

It depends on how "old" the Kohler shower valve is. If it is really "old, it is a "Neidecken" type. You need a special kit to repair them. If it is the later "Rite-Temp", you need a special repair cartridge. There is a newer type that is used today. Unless it is an 8" center valve.

If it is the Neidecken type, you usually must replace the seats. That's where they leak. They are not pressure balance valves. When the later valves leak, I found them difficult to repair. That's why I always stuck with Symmons. They have never changed and parts are easily obtained. You can replace every part in the valve and they will be like new.

Post a picture of the valve and I will tell you what it is.
  • icesailor
    Kohler Showers: Two Handles:

If what you are dealing with is a two handle faucet, you need to change the cartridges in the valves. Not just the washers. You can't just change washers. It usually doesn't work in my experience. They also made a "Trend" series a competitive line against Gerber and other competitive brands but they were worse than junk.

You may need a Plumbing Pro that knows what they are dealing with.

Post a picture.
  • jonny88
    shower head

it looks like a kohler model no.k-7032,k-7100,k-7210,the stem goes into a barrel which goes into body.problem is shut of valves dont hold for bathroom so i cant even take out stem to bring it to my supply house.i have a plumbing parts book and that looks like the model number.the new owner is going to do a renovation,but for the bank to approve she must show there is no drips.im thinking about putting a ball valve on the shower head,i understand about the antiscald but for now i need a quick fix.believe me i dont like doing work like this but what can you do.i got another new stem and am going to try one more time,could it be that the shower body might be damaged.again guys thanks for your help.you two whether you know it or not have helped me out before,again thanks for taking the time out
  • Kohler Valvet

Does your assembly look like this:

http://www.plumbingparts.org/parts/982146.html
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • jonny88
    edited June 2011
    kohler stem

nope it is about 6 inches long.there is a brass barrel,chrome stem which threads into barrel,stem has a washer on the end,then a brass spacer and then the stem packing.i dont know how to put photos up i must ask my wife.on that site it is similar to model number 982818.thanks
  • icesailor
    Kohler parts:

You have a 8" center tub and shower valve. It isn't a single lever valve. It has a diverter to switch it to the tub or shower. It's almost older than dirt. You won't find parts at your local Kohler distributor. That is a fore runner to the Kohler Valvet unit that someone posted. The stem length is wrong. If it is leaking out of the shower head, the diverter is in the shower position. If you switch it, it will drip out of the spout.

There are "tricks" that I can do to stop it from leaking for a short time but I can't explain it. There are too many of them. Chances are, it is leaking on the hot side and the seat is wrecked. Sexauer may have what you need. So may Crest.
  • jonny88
    kohler stem

i hate this old stuff,last time i got it to stop dripping by tightening the handle real tight,this worked temporarily so when the bank came thru to evaluate they saw no drips,the stem i put in might not have been right but i cant get a shutdown to change riser valves on a weekend,which is my only time to do side work.if riser valves held i could bring stem to supply house but it is never easy.the two controls on top are for the shower and two on bottom are for tub.icesailor im sure you have the tricks but i dont and if this doesnt work ball valve is going in shower head for now until i can change unit.again thanks
  • icesailor
    What you have is

What you have is this. This is from the on-line catalog from Crest-Good manufacturing in Soyosset, LI, NY. Go to this link and look on Chapter, Page 125.

http://www.crestgood.com/catalog/Ch%2002%20D-O%20only.pdf

You will NOT find this part at ANY supply house you go to. If you have this faucet, and the barrel has the taper on the end and the seat inside, if the seat is OK and you change the washer and it isn't ripped to death by a bad seat, the taper on the end is leaking. Clean it carefully with sand cloth until it is more or less shiny, grease it well with Super Lube water pump grease and tighten.

You should be able to shut off the water at the service while you fix it.

Your friend is being unreasonable. God can perform miracles. You can't. Neither can I. If I was a bank inspector and I saw a ball valve on the shower head, I would know something was up and fail the system. That's if it wasn't leaking out of the spout because the diverter isn't a positive shut off valve.

If you want to fix it, get the right parts. It's an easy fix with the right parts. That valve is pre-1960.
  • jonny88
    thanks icesailor

great link,im going to call them tomorrow and order the parts,many thanks again,i value the time you take out to help us out ,especially on a sunday,goodnight and good luck
This discussion has been closed.