Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should I buyout my conversion burner or continue rental?

cbowner
cbowner Member Posts: 4
Hi,

I live North of Boston & have a conversion burner on a furnace from the 1940s.*

I do not know when I will be able to replace the furnace.

The conversion burner was installed before I got the house in '95. Perhaps it's the type of temporary fix decision a home seller would make to sell the house as gas heat.

I was not told I had a conversion burner & that in the future it would be a good idea to... ?

I feel stupid paying a service contract on this thing year round and wish I had taken a buyout in 2005 when I had trouble with the conversion burner & it was repaired.

Please note my rental/service contract does not get me any HVAC annual maintenance whatsoever (the Fasco motor has printed on it "Oil every 6 months" - well that's news to me & has never happened).

I pay $25 bimonthly and the buyout is $140.

Thank You.

*Williams Oil-O-Matic

Honeywell switch, Carlin Model G3B

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    If the burner is working

properly and not giving any trouble then leave it alone. As to paying is that a rental or a service contract? Or is it a parts replacement contract? Is it with the Gas company and if so which one. The Carlin G3B is a very good burner. The oiling of the motor is something you as the homeowner should be doing every six months. Do you do any maintenance on this your self?

What does your $25 every other month get you? Is it in a contract or brochure that the gas company gave you.
  • cbowner
    cbowner Member Posts: 4
    How long should a homeowner rent a conversion burner?

Tim, thanks for your reply.

I am glad that I have a good burner - well I've had it since '95 - is that a long time?

I've never done any maintenance - I wouldn't know where to oil the Fasco motor.

The 1995 contract was originally with Essex Gas but then sold to N.E. Water Heater (clueless I thought I was paying for a water heater rental!).

The bimonthly $25 is for rental & service (including parts) but not maintenance.

I have not had problems since 2005 when it was repaired not replaced.

My original question was if a buyout of the unit at $140 made more sense.

Alas since I don't know what my timeline is for replacing my furnace perhaps my specific situation* is hard to answer so...

In general, should one rent (w/service plan for free repair & parts but not maintenance) or buy their conversion burner?

Perhaps this needs be answered with a time qualifier-  if you plan on keeping the conversion burner for X years you should Y.

*Specifically I worry about my furnace since it is from the 1940's and the doors are rusted, etc. I don't know when I will have the time to research a new one. If I knew when I was going to get a new heating system, I would have more info to make this decision - if I was going to get a new heating system before the fall, then keeping the rental would be cheaper than the buyout.

I am on a limited income & more willing to sacrifice comfort.

Thanks again
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    edited May 2011
    Some answers

How long should a homeowner rent a conversion burner?

Tim, thanks for your reply.

I am glad that I have a good burner - well I've had it since '95 - is that a long time? NO IT IS NOT AND AS LONG AS IT IS WORKING LEAVE IT ALONE. I AM BASING THAT ON YOUR LIMITED INCOME SITUATION AS YOU POSTED. SAVE YOUR MONEY AS THE EQUIPMENT IS WHAT IS OLD NOT THE CONVERSION BURNER. SO EVENTUALLY IT WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED.

I've never done any maintenance - I wouldn't know where to oil the Fasco motor. CALL THOSE WHO YOU ARE UNDER CONTRACT WITH AND ASK THEM TO COME AND SERVICE THE UNIT AND SHOW YOU THE POINTS THAT NEED YOUR ATTENTION AND MAINTENANCE AS A HOMEOWNER.

The 1995 contract was originally with Essex Gas but then sold to N.E. Water Heater (clueless I thought I was paying for a water heater rental!).

The bimonthly $25 is for rental & service (including parts) but not maintenance.

I have not had problems since 2005 when it was repaired not replaced.

My original question was if a buyout of the unit at $140 made more sense.

Alas since I don't know what my timeline is for replacing my furnace perhaps my specific situation* is hard to answer so..PARTS ARE NOT CHEAP SO AT $150 PER YEAR THAT IS A PRETTY GOOD CONTRACT FOR SERVICE AND PARTS, I WOULD STICK WITH THE $25 EVERY OTHER MONTH..

In general, should one rent (w/service plan for free repair & parts but not maintenance) or buy their conversion burner?

Perhaps this needs be answered with a time qualifier-  if you plan on keeping the conversion burner for X years you should Y. THE EQUIPMENT IS MORE LIKELY TO GO BEFORE THE CONVERSION BURNER. THE PART THAT USUALLY NEEDS REPLACED ON THAT BURNER IS THE HOT SURFACE IGNITER. STICK WITH THE REPAIR AND PARTS FOR NOW UNTIL THE BOILER GOES THEN HAVE THEM COME AND REMOVE THE CONVERSION BURNER BEFORE YOU REPLACE THE EQUIPMENT.

*Specifically I worry about my furnace since it is from the 1940's and the doors are rusted, etc. I don't know when I will have the time to research a new one. If I knew when I was going to get a new heating system, I would have more info to make this decision - if I was going to get a new heating system before the fall, then keeping the rental would be cheaper than the buyout. AT SOME POINT IT WILL NEED REPLACED AND START LOOKING NOW TO ADD INSULATION TO THE DWELLING AND NEW WINDOWS ALONG WITH SAVING FOR A NEW HEATING SYSTEM. I RECOMMEND WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO DO THAT TO LOOK AT A MODULATING CONDENSING PIECE OF EQUIPMENT WITHER BOILER OR FURNACE DEPENDING ON WHAT IS IN PLACE NOW.

I am on a limited income & more willing to sacrifice comfort.

Apol;ogy for the caps but wanted to distinguish my answers from your questions.
This discussion has been closed.