Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad Radiant w Pex Bubbles

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
Was called in on a home sale to represent the buyer today. The new (2 years old)residence was bought by the bank as the builder went broke. The radiant system was installed using Internet purchased materials and "design".  The "staple-up" was done without transfer plates (of course) and had <strong>1 loop per joist bay!</strong>  I wondered why there were only 2 manifolds for a 5200SF home...1 loop per bay means a great cost savings in manifolds and tubing. The Polaris water heater was directly connected to the CW supply using a standard pressure reducing valve, rather than a boiler PRV fill valve.  The delamination and bubbles on the exterior of the Pex could be caused by improper manufacturing processes or O2 diffusion.  Would you warrant this system or buy the home?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    Does a Chicken Have Lips?

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Wouldn't Buy It

With a pole as long as those loop lengths...Next house please..Looks like Wirsbo tubing. Cut the area out and expand it. Doesn't come back then possibly but highly unlikely... 
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    X Tanks

Looks like those expansion tanks are playing the "Cha- Cha".
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    looks like to me....

that the pex delaminated due to way too high a temp water being run though it.... That would make sence on a cold day , the system not heating up, and someone wanting warm feet..... they prob cranked the water heater. Big mess. It can be fixed.... that is if they start again. kpc
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Hack Jobs

give us all a bad name. That company is no longer in business, thankfully.

However I think the bubbling is likely because hannel was rebranding LK pex (I think) and they did have a batch of pipe where the printed letterring on the pipe weakened the adhesive between the o2 barrier and the rest of the pipe. Under a long pressure test, pure 02 would be pushed through the wall of the pipe and cause a bubble. It was a cosmetic but not a functional problem: the o2 barrier was still intact and the pipe integrity was not affected.

next runs of pipe either change the adhesive or what layer they were printing on to solve the issue.

Gotta love 16" o.c. suspended tube.... amazing.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Paul Pollets
    Price reduction

I'm told that the prospective buyer is looking for a 200K reduction in the sale price. He also belives the bank that owns the property knew of the heating system defects and should have disclosed them. The residence was marketed as "Very Green"... yeah, right...the only green I see is the feeling of nausea from having to deal with a cold house that costs excessive amounts to keep moderately warm. And will cost plenty to fix correctly.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    What company was that Rob...

One of the two from Maine? (hopeful thinking on my part...)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    ouch!

we're from Maine ;) I think you're thinking of Vermont.

the sticker on one of those shots is Hannel Direct. I forget where they were out of... I think it was west coast though.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Paul Pollets
    From their website:

Regrettably, Hannel-RadiantDirect has ceased business operations.  

If you have reached this site in search of a radiant floor heating system or radiant heat components, we wish you luck in finding the right solution.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Sorry....

I meant Vermont...

Only GOOD people are from Maine :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.