Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

btu to sq ft of steam for radiator sizing

ed wallace
ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
have a customer who wants to replace a steam rad rated for 60 sq ft of steam with a runtal radiator need to know how to convert from square ft of steam to btu's per hour

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    240 per as steam 170 per with water at 180 F

150 @ 170 F

130 @ 160 F

110 @ 150 F

Are they using this for water or steam? I do not recommend panels for steam due to less mass and short life when used in an open system.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • ed wallace

yes they want to replace a cast iron rad with a panel rad
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Changing Radiators

Due to the insistence of my wife ("It got in the way when she mopped the floor") I replaced a cast iron radiator in one of the bathrooms with a modern, wall hung, light tube radiator. While it looked really nice, the outcome wasn't very satisfactory as the new radiator cools very quickly and doesn't "coast" (keep giving off heat like the old cast iron one) when the burner isn't operating. We get past that by turning up the thermostat to start the burner if we are going to be in the bathroom for any length of time. I would make the customer aware of this possibility so you don't get blamed if the customer isn't happy with the uneven heat output.

- Rod
  • ed wallace

customer wants to replace a 38 in high radiator in ther kitchen with a modern radiator that is wall hung she's looking at radiators from runtal
  • ed wallace

customer wants to replace a 38 in high radiator in ther kitchen with a modern radiator that is wall hung she's looking at radiators from runtal
  • Patrick_North
    Patrick_North Member Posts: 249
    Possibility

After a good bit of hunting on ebay and such I found a CI wall hung radiator to replace the ungainly beast hogging up floor space in our kitchen. Now we can open the fridge without knocking the rad (hallelujah!) AND without sacrificing the benefits of CI. Attractive, too.

With the heating season all but over, maybe your customer has time to find something similar?

An aside- while new CI rads are still made by a few firms I'm suprised that I haven't found anyone making new CI wall rads. Surely they're easier to fabricate and they're often terrific retrofit options.

Probably not what your customer wants to hear, but maybe worth a shot.

Patrick
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    I agree with Rod

the steel radiators made for steam by Runtal do not and cannot perform the same as cast iron and would suffer faster cooling than their cast iron brethren.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.