Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Relay clicking at shutdown....

Thurman
Thurman Member Posts: 5
I have a small Utica basic gas steamer going on its second season.  The Honeywell gas valve is click-click/ stagger/  clackle-clicking on shutoff for 30-45  seconds of unwelcome and irritating regularity.  The question is: Is the relay cleanable, and/or replacable by the above average mechanically inclined?  Thanks for any and all suggestions and really love the site.  Checked all wiring, everything is tight. 

Comments

• RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    Gas valve "clicking"

Is the proper voltage getting to the valve? Need more info on this, gas is dangerous if you don't know what your doing.
    Rob
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Give us some Model numbers

and Make on the control making the clicking noise.
  • Thurman
    More info on the relay/control.....

Thank you for the reply and needed to find my magnifier for the model numbers to magically appear.  The boiler is a Utica PEG150CDE gas steamer and the gas valve is Honeywell VR8200H calling for 3.5 regulated pressure/3-5 range, needing a class 2 transformer/ 24volts.  Measuring output at the transformer I get 27V and measured V at the relay with unit idle I found 3v at the switch.  Was expecting more like 24 and 0V here.  Please comment.  The unit works flawlessly, it just stumbles at the relay when the T signals shutdown.    
  • Tim McElwain
    What is this relay you are talking

about? Or are you saying the clicking noise is coming from the gas valve? There is no relay in the gas valve, that valve is a dual seated valve and the valve that clicks when power is applied is the first valve in the gas flow which is a solenoid.

With a call for heat you should have 24 volts across the coil in the valve and the valve should open and the burner come on. When the thermostat is satisfied there should be no power at the gas valve. If there is then wiring is messed up.
  • Thurman
    Thanks Tim, one more quick question plz.....-7

Ok, no relay,,,,The solenoid at the gas valve is suspected. I will get a schematic in front of me with the magnifying glass and figger this one out.  If I am getting 27V output from the transformer, does that indicate failure of the transformer?
  • RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    24 volts

Here is a link to the wiring schematic for the gas valve. http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/69-0000s/69-0557.pdf

It depends on how your is wired but you should not get any voltage at the gas valve solenoid with the thermostat not calling for heat. If you get 24v out of the transformer its good, you need this control voltage to operate the circuit. If you don't understand let me know. Thanks
    Rob
  • Thurman
    Thanks Robbie

Thanks for the link.  I really am wondering though why I get a 27V read at the transformer, Don't think my multimeter is off that much, and realize that voltage at the valve is not kosher during off cycle. Will recheck everything and get back to you, thank for taking the time.     

• Tim McElwain
    A NEMA rated class II

transformer under standard DC20-92 will put out between 20 to 27 volts from the secondary of the transformer. I would check polarity and phasing to ensure both are correct, do you understand what that is?

If you are getting voltage back feed somehow it may not be enough to keep the valve open and hence the chattering of the solenoid.
  • Thurman
    Polarity yes, phasing not so much

Thanks Robbie and Tim, Your professionalism is unquestionable, and The Wall is just a site about heating without guys like you....taking time to point the (sometimes) dangerously inexperienced readers and doers out there in a safer and more informed direction.  As one who has lived through many DIY experiences in deeper water than most would consider prudent, financial issues forced me to do my own boiler install 2 years ago.  Nursing an ancient coal conversion gas steamer through twenty winters without the benefit of Heating Help got me only so far.  Research on this site gave me the confidence and information to pull off a correct near piping install with drop header and all the bells and whistles (isolation valves..etc.)  I would not recommend this to anyone that didn't have great plumbing skills and a strong back.  Big, big job.  Perhaps I should have checked around for a site called ElectricityHelp, as this is my weakness in the trades.  I can only assume that you have had a long winter responsibly answering questions from guys like me that are seemingly clueless in the heating field.  For all of us fearless, non professional DIYers with limited, but above average skills in several fields, I thank you for providing the solid and trustworthy information that gets us through one unknown and on to the next challenge. I'm calling my electrician in the morning......Thanks for the clues.  Learned a bunch here and still learning.  Reversing the polarity only works in Godzilla movies.   Now on to the next phase. 
This discussion has been closed.