Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirects?

EddieG
EddieG Member Posts: 150
Looking for an Indirect that uses the coil for the domestic and the mass has the boiler water. I have used the Artisian before, that I got through a local Dunkirk (ECR) wholesaler. Does anybody offer an IDWH that has multiple coils built like the Artisian? Also looking for recommendations on the product.

I have a Geo job using the Waterfurnace Synergy3D unit, coming up that will have a mod/con back up with some low temp radiant, high temp hot water coils, and provide domestic. So I need a buffer tank for the Geo along with a tank for the desuperheater. I was thinking of using a buffer piped to the geo and to the boiler for the heating side. Then using a Prestige Excellence (not 100% decided), but have the geo desuperheater pre heat a domestic tank that feeds the boiler on the domestic side. Been sketching up various ideas. Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • EddieG
    Sweet!

Thanks! That would work perfect for my application. I will give them a call. I have a tight space to work with. But I could install that where the existing electric water heater is. I have a spot under a stairwell that I can locate a low boy electric tank (not wired) that the Geo de-superheater could be piped to as a pre-heat tank. So basically the cold would feed into the pre-heat tank and then into the domestic side of the TT Excellence. I am open to ideas and suggestions. 
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Ergomax and Turbomax

I don't think the boiler buddy is an actual reverse indirect. I'd be very skeptical of its ability to transfer heat in that mode, especially since the coil is at the bottom of the tank - it's probably meant to heat the buffer, not be heated by it. Both Turbomax (by Thermomax, a Canadian company) and Ergomax come in several sizes, all are actually designed and built for optimal tank-to-(multi)coil heat transfer with minimal pressure drop through the coils.
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Buderus SM300

Buderus has a tank, i checked if you use a big enuff circ you can use both coils for DHW ,   David

http://www.buderus.us/files/201001242212220.44499020A_DHWIndirectTank_0409.pdf
  • NH03865
    NH03865 Member Posts: 38
    SuperStore also makes one

You can look at this one also

http://www.htproducts.com/superstor-contender-solar.html
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Mack Daddy of all Dual Coil Tanks

Since were throwing choices, felt might as well throw the mack daddy out there.

http://www.viessmann.ca/etc/medialib/internet-ca/pdfs/tanks.Par.88866.File.tmp/Vitocell-B_300_TDM.pdf
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • EddieG
    Thanks

Thanks to all! I also checked out Triangle Tubes version. Which looks perfect for my application. By using there set up I can avoid the second tank for the desuperheater pre heat domestic tank. I will check the rest of the models suggested. Keep em coming and things again.
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611
    Is Geo so great if you need a boiler anyway?

I don't get geo, all that money drilling wells or digging trenches and you still need a boiler for back up?

Does the desuperheater need a HX? don't they use a bronze circ. and pump potable water?

Each to there own but why not reconsider the geo and put some of that money to a solar DHW system, Maybe mix some oversized panel rads in with radiant, try and design it so you can run the boiler direct connected (no P/S pumping). Then pepper the place with some nice Fujitsu RLS-9's and 12's for a 1:4 cop down to 5deg. plus great AC and summer dehumidification with no wasteful ductwork.
  • EddieG
    I see...

I see your point. But to answer:

There is an existing duct system for an air to air heat pump. I like and use Fujitsu and Daikin quite a bit. Reason for the boiler back up is, Geo is still a heat pump. Not gas or oil and they are from NH and hate there heat pump. I explained that geo wasn't the answer for that and offered a boiler with duct coil. Job started out as an estimate to put radiant in the master bath and has evolved from there. They started thinking about the 30% tax credit and local grants, along with 15 year old heat pump. So that is how it got to this point. You are correct about the bronze pump, but the desuperheater needs a heat sink to work properly. So as far as the cost, I show them what is available and they choose how to spend there money.
This discussion has been closed.