Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Curious as to what

Options
Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
would happen with the Viessmann Vitodens 200-W WB2B Lamda-pro system if there was cross contamination on the coaxial (Concentric) vent. The fresh air being contaminated and the Lamda system reconfiguring combustion on each cycle what would be the result?

What do you think, hey this may be a good one for Jim Davis!

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ionization Rod

The ionization rod would pick up that you were beyond the parameters set within the control and boiler would go off with a E9 code. Burner in fault. See page 29 of the attached for the explination.

"The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I can tell you this...

One of our local wholesalers (who shall remain nameless) took the line on, and in their efforts to attract contractors made the claim that you don't need a combustion analyzer to set these boilers up...

WRONG!!

The very first Lamba Pro I set up had CO that was out of recommended range.

DO NOT throw your analyzers away... Lamba Pro or not.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • CMadatMe
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Mark

You have to be careful when setting this boiler up. You must run the boiler for a minimum of 5-10 minutes before sticking your probe in the provided test ports. At both low and high fire. There is a procedure for combustion testing so whomever is passing that info on is not giving 100 percent correct information. After the inital setup though it will monitor and test itself on every fire.

The manual does say to do a combustion test on startup, see page 26 of the attached in my post above.The boiler will give you a high CO right at fire. It uses this high CO to calibrate itself. I've received many a phone call because of high readings due to guys sticking the probe in the test port and then turning the boiler on. The manual isn't clear on running the boiler prior to test.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Understood Chris...

The boiler had been running for hours BEFORE I tested.

As for letting it run for a while, that pretty much applies to ALL gas fired appliances. It takes a while to get everything moving in the right direction.

However, Jim Davis was telling me that there is a move afoot to have people look at the start up CO, because it can indicate a problem with certain types of equipment,

I turned it over to the local rep. Not sure what the final outcome was, because it wasn't MY job. I was just there helping out a former student/contractor.

The claim of no analyzer needed was a marketing ploy, obviously.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    Usually not the MO

Viessmann is very conservative and I'm sure would frown upon those statements being made. I've never heard nor have spoken to anyone at Viessmann that has stated you do not have to do a combustion test at start-up.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Curious MO:

I'm not any kind of expert on this subject but I know that the Veissmann Vitodens 100 tell you in the manuals to combustion test with equipment when you first fire it up and write the numbers down on a special page. That CO2  for high and low fire be 10.8%.  Then, they recommend that it be serviced every year and you write the numbers in the next set of spaces. It is especially important to test if you convert to LP. Why did they put those special test ports for us?

It seems that a shocking number of installers think that the manufacturers manuals are to be left in the folders and taken away with them when the job is done. I was talking with an electrician yesterday about a wiring issue and I asked him if he or the installer had read the instruction manuals. He said that the manuals were still in the blue plastic package. I asked him if he had a separate boiler pump, connected under the boiler into the return like in the manufacturers drawing and wired so it ran whenever the boiler had a call. No. Well, he didn't read the manual. He's going to have a problem.

How many times has someone come here, posted a picture of the problem equipment,and it is piped wrong? Too often.
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    Yes He Will

The boiler will just sit there and look at him and do nothing with no error codes. If you don't make the flow switch it does nothing but look at you and say..Hey, read the directions I need some foreplay...
This discussion has been closed.