Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combination heating and domestic water boilers?

Options
Gasper
Gasper Member Posts: 148
I'm looking for ideas on mod-con heating and domestic water combination boilers.  The application is for small condos.  I know NTI makes one.  Just trying to see what options are out there.  Thanks. 

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Challenger

May want to take a look at the attached. While, this is not made by them the mfg across the pond sold a few hundred thousand of them last year from what I was told. Have seen it live, pretty quite and easy to service.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Gee that looks familiar.

It looks like someone put a burner on a kick space heater. Is that a price point product they are trying out? I like there stainless steel boilers but I am not so fond of that design. I can see its place, row housing low budget jobs. What kind of domestic draws are we talking for these condos? One bath retirement units or luxury multi bath jacuzzi tubs and multi head showers?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    I Think

It's there anwser to fighting off the tankless mfgs. It is 96%, rated as boiler but like everything, you get what you pay for...
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Fighting to the bottom

is a sure way to reach there. I am sure you are correct as to their intent. I shy away from aluminum in mono blocks and fin tube boilers as a rule. I can see it's place, it just won't be on my installs. I am still curious how people are making out with the Munchkin Contender and the plastic pressure vessel. Have you come across many of these?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Combination heating and domestic water boilers?

what part of the country are you from I can quote you on the Challenger boilers just email me. thanks bob eck
  • CMadatMe
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Sold a Few

Sold a few. Mostly for those jobs where the builder wanted cheap but stilled play on the high eff angle to put a few bucks in his pocket while beating up the installer. I do have to say haven't had any problems on the dozen or so I sold. Ask me in another couple years though.

I think the target is going to be exactly what this contractor is doing. Condo, Apartment type applications where they want the cheapiest they can get while riding the efficiency card to a few extra bucks. The installers are at the mercy of bid and spec generally on these type of projects. I don't see these as being promoted to the residential market but you never know.

I agree with you, looks like a kickspace heater on steriods..
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I have about...

8 of these out there. Embassy ONEX also goes by Smith GC 160, Peerles 160 combi... same unit. It is compact, produces decent Hot water, can be adjusted to meet the heat load and has outdoor reset. It is smaller than the TT excellence... which is also good.

http://www.smithboiler.com/html/gc160-condensing-boiler.asp
  • Gasper
    Options
    codo types

The job is a historic building.  A total gut-renovation job.  Will be rentals for now, but set up to sell as condos if things ever change.  Close to an urban university and large medical center.  Will draw profs, students, health care workers, etc.
  • Gasper
    Options
    Detroit renovation

The building is in the Detroit area.
  • Gasper
    Options
    An apartment building...

mostly one bed. one bath units.
This discussion has been closed.