Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I do it myself?

Hi, guys. Thanks for everyone's help.

I replaced the main venting and it helped a lot. The line that had a plugged main vent is not actually hot. Some of the radiators were slow to heat but now they get hot immediately.

I would like to install the low pressure gauge I got from the guagestore. Is this something I can do myself? Should I use black pipe or galvanized? For the pipe connection, should I use loctite?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    In general,

any reasonably handy person can install a pressure gauge.  You need to figure out where, though, first.  One of the more common places is to put it on the same pigtail as your vapourstat (one of the best places is on the header, but that usually means drilling and tapping, which is not in the usual do it yourself repertoire).  You might, alternatively, put it on the same pigtail as your 0 to 30 gauge.  Or anywhere else handy -- depends so much on what's there already I really couldn't tell you.

As to materials -- ideally, red brass, although black iron can be used (it tends to plug up a lot more quickly).  Do NOT use galvanzed!  I usually just use a couple of wraps of teflon tape on the threads of small diameter pipe like that.  Some folks prefer pipe dope, but be sure that you do it very neatly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Adding a Gauge

If you plan it out well you shouldn't have problems. (First thing - Be sure to turn off the power to the Burner! :)  Gauge piping is usually 1 /4 inch pipe and as Jamie recommended it is best to use Red Brass ("Bronze") and Home Depot has fittings if you don't have a good hardware /plumbing store handy. As was mentioned, don't use galvanized pipe as the zinc coating can flake off and plug the small holes in the gauges/controls.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.