Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Size of Thread

I know this sounds like a stupid question so I hope you bear with me.

I am looking to replace some main vents myself.

1. How do I know which size Gorton #1's I should be purchasing? I know they make a 3/4'' x 1/2'' and they make a 3/8''. Also, what does it mean by 3/4'' x 1/2''? Is that the diameter of the thread?

2. Is it just as easy to replace the main vent as a radiator vent? Do I simply remove the old one with a crescent wrench, apply teflon tape, and screw the new vent back on?

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Dual Threaded

Hi-  The "3/4 x 1/2" means that  it can be fitted to a 3/4 female or a 1/2 male pipe thread.

Usually the fitting has a 3/4 male thread on the outside of the fitting and a 1/2 inch female thread on the inside of the fitting. This allows you to fit the vent on either of two sizes of pipe.

As for replacing the vent yourself normally this is quite easy to do though can depend on how tight / or on how bad the old fitting has corroded.

- Rod
  • TeachMeSteam
    TeachMeSteam Member Posts: 128
    Thank you

I see!

Thanks so much.

By the way, are the Gorton #2's ok for a small home? I read a review that the Gorton #2 will start leaking steam when the PSI is at 1. Is this true and if so, should I stick with #1's?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    gorton main vents

i bought 17 gorton #2's year before last, and had no problems; however as i have a vaporstat, the pressure is never more than 12 ounces. i don't think you need to worry, unless your pressure goes over 3 psi. they would be fine for a house, although a little taller than the #1's. you can never have too much venting!--nbc
  • TeachMeSteam
    Thank you

I think people were saying that the vent was leaking when the PSI was under 1. I guess they were implying that with the bigger vent, if the pressure was too low, the vent stayed open.

But, I guess you are saying to not worry about it! I will order the #2's right away.

Thanks to both of you for the answers. Makes it easy for us.
  • Rod
    Main Venting

Main Vents- The common/popular main vents used are Gorton #1, Gorton #2 and Hoffman #75     The Gorton #2 had 3 to 4 times the venting capacity of a Gorton #1 and a Hoffman #75 is about 1/2 of a Gorton #2.

Usually the biggest problem with a Gorton # 2 is having enough clearance above your steam main and the ceiling to install one of these units.  They are about the size of the old wind up alarm clock. or a can of automotive polish on its side.  I haven't had a problem with a Gorton #2 leaking though I believe they had a few bad units in a production run of this model last year. Gorton is  a very good company and stand behind their products and will replace any defective units.

If you can tell us the length and size of your main we can tell you how much venting you probably need. Each main needs its own main vent.

- Rod

I might also mention there are some very good books on steam heating available in the "Shop" section of this website. The best one to start with is "We Got Steam Heat!"

http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/61/We-Got-Steam-Heat-A-Homeowners-Guide-to-Peaceful-Coexistence
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    And if you have to

explain male and female, ask your fifth grader!

Ours will tell you everything.

:)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    I have had a few

Gortons whisping some vapor now and again at low pressure. A bad batch maybe. Needed a mirror to see it though. Replaced them and they work fine, but on a friend's house. 
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • TeachMeSteam
    teflon tape vs pipe dope

When I'm installing the main vent, do you guys recommend teflon tape or pipe dope?
  • Rod
    Main Venting

While you can use either,  I tend to stay with Teflon tape rather than pipe dope as there is less chance of getting oil in the system. Even a tiny amount of oil in the system can be a curse.

If you want more info on venting go to this website. http://www.gwgillplumbingandheating.com/

Gerry Gill is a very experienced steam pro in the Cleveland area and has a lot of great steam information available on his website.

I have also attached an excellent drawing by Brad White of an "Antler" / "Menorah" setup for multiple vents.  Note the use of the pipe union. Using a union allows you to install /service the vents easily.  It is also important to configure your piping so that any water that gets near the vents is able to drain away.
This discussion has been closed.