Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler pipes venting - elevate or not

Hen
Hen Member Posts: 56
Hello.  When changing the air vent on the vertical pipe next to the boiler, should the vent get elevated more than it is now (pictures attached)? Will it benefit to put the new vent on an antler  in this location as well? I have seen and read of the benefits of  antlers and menorahs toward the end of mains. Thank you.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    protecting the main vents

that vent should be protected by a menorah or antler, whose right angles will slow down any violent movements of water in the pipes. the danger to any main vent is damage caused by slugs of hammered water hitting them in their bottoms, which like any bottoms need protection.

it looks as though you need a newer, and bigger vent on that dry return, and any other dry returns in the system [is there one more?].--nbc
  • Hen
    There is also vent at the end of main

It says '45' on the vent in  picture. There is another vent (1) all the way at the end of main; it says Doll on it; cannot make out any size labeling at the moment, but the 'vent hole' is not very big as compared to Gorton #1.

I have a Gorton #1 and a Gorton #2 on the way from Pex Supply.  I plan on replacing the '45' with Gorton #1 and the 'Doll' with Gorton #2.
  • Hen
    Copper or black iron

The Gortons from PexSupply should be over today. I picked up some black iron nipples and fittings yesterday.  But all my near boiler piping is copper (pls see the photos).  When I build my antler atop the copper vertical dry return, maybe I can just use copper tubing and fittings?? I have copper tubing and assorted fittings on hand as well (and some brass fittings for transition points). By the way, my old steel looking vent, sitting atop copper dry return, should there not be a brass coupling in-between. Tx.
  • Hen
    Gorton on copper fitting - need brass in-between??

All my near boiler piping is copper.  Is it OK to put Gorton directly on copper fitting, or do I need brass in-between??  How about at the end of my iron main, when I build my black iron antler, can I put a Gorton directly on black iron??  Do I need brass between black iron and a Gorton?  Thank you.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    installing gorton main vents

the base of the gortons are made of brass, so you will be ok with screwing into iron or copper.

i put mine on top of some brass ball valves, for later ease of cleaning. use some teflon tape on the threads to enable their later removal, and don't put too much torque on the body, only use the lower flats for tightening!--nbc
  • Hen
    Put Gorton on extra elbows and nipples or not

If I have the room to put the Gorton main airvent on a stair-like contraption, would the extra elbows and nipple turns serve the Gorton  well, or it would not matter, or is it not advisable to do that?

The stair-like contraption would be instead of an antler.  It would be elbow, horizontal nipple, elbow, vertical nipple, elbow, horizontal nipple, elbow, vertical nipple, etc, and then Gorton.  Tx
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    too many elbows

think simple. One to go from vertical to horizontal and one to go vertical. If you can not level the vent then a third is required  to make a swing joint. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Hen
    swing joint?

What's a swing joint ? Tx
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Swing joint

allows adjustment in three plains. So that results in a V to H ell then a H to H ell then a H to V ell. this way you can assure the piping is pitched to drain away from the vent. V = vertical H == horizontal. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.