Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil Mclain Gold gv random lockouts - need advice

Deanna14
Deanna14 Member Posts: 4
Hi,

I am really hoping someone here can help me.

I have a Weil McLain Gold GV boiler (the manual says series 4) with a United Tech. control 1310-100 in it.  It goes into lockout every few days, sometimes regularly every 3 days sometimes it waits a week.  When it is in lockout the power light is on and the flame/valve light is flashing.  A simple electrical re-set gets it going again for another few days.  I have had the whole thing serviced and cleaned, including the cone and the ignitor replaced, gas valve checked and adjusted.  What could it be?  My repair guy is baffeled that it locks out every few days.  I am preemptively re-setting it every 2 days and that seems to keep it going without going into lockout.  Has anyone had this problem?  Is there something else we should try?  What part would of the ignition system would make it lockout every few days?

Thanks

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    When it is in

lockout do you have power to the gas valve (24 volts)? What is the ohm reading on your igniter? What is the amperage on the wire to the igniter when it is powered?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    "Lock Out"

Unfortunately there are quite a few things that can cause ?"Lock out").  Cleaning furnace is always a start, but in your case further analysis should be done.  Time to start from ground zero and check:  Design of furnace,Installation, combustion test!, Delte t, etc.  Call a company that is able to perform these tests to aid in the repair of problem. 

Mike T.
  • Tim McElwain
    The powewr light on and

the flame/valve light indicates a possible problem with the ground connection. I am assuming that the 1310-100 Integrated Boiler Control and the 1013-200 I am familiar with have the same diagnostic codes for the Gold Series 4?

It is also a good idea to check all the harness connections and make sure they are tight. Again you need to check the igniter RTR resistance (Room Temperature Resistance) some times the igniter will glow but does not decrease enough in resistance to cause the system to operate. You can also check the amperage draw of the igniter when the system is calling for heat, it should be between 4.25 and 4.75 amps, if not replace the igniter.

If after all this the lights are still flashing replace the gas valve. If all this fails get in touch with the factory.
  • Deanna14
    no flame twice a day now

Hi Tim,

I'll check with my guy when he comes again on Monday for the volt, amperage, and ohm readings.  

It is now doing it twice a day, maybe I just have to wait for whatever the problem part is to fail so we can see what it is.  So frustrating!!  It started in November every month, then Jan every two weeks, February has been every few days to a week.  Based on the control lights it isn't sensing a flame before it locks out.  Could it be that the control is going?  They don't sell the 1310-100 anymore, would the 1310-200 work?
  • Deanna14
    lights of a 1310-100

all the connections have been checked.  The ignitor was replaced two weeks ago.  I'll have the ground connection checked.

I don't know the lights on a 1310-200 but the 1310-100 are

Power

Purge

Ignition

Valve

When it is in lockout the power light is on steady and the valve light flashes. 
  • Tim McElwain
    The 1013-200 was the United Technolgy

control that Weil Mclain was sending as a replacement for the old Honeywell S9300A which was the original control on the Gold Boilers. I am not familiar with the 1310-100. I sent an e-mail to the local rep here for some information on that control. When I go through the troubleshooting procedure I have it states that at this point in your problem the control has to be changed. I am not sure if the 1013-200 will replace your control? I hope to know that by late Monday if the rep gets back to me. You may also want your tech to check the microamps on the igniter/sensor he should be getting between 2 to 10 microamps when the burner is on. The normal reading is about 3 to 5 microamps.
  • Deanna14
    please let me know

Hi Tim,

Please let me know what your rep says about the 1310-100 I can't find anything online that is helpful in suggesting what I should do next, I've found the lockout codes for the 1310-200 and it is completely different than the one I have.

After I check for the RTR, the amps, the voltage on the gas valve, and the ohms on the ignitor, if all those things seem fine what should I do next?  replace the gas valve?  or perhaps the control?
  • Tim McElwain
    I will be calling

tech service tomorrow and will get back to you. My local rep was not much help so hopefully I will get answers at tech services.
  • Tim McElwain
    This is what

the 1013-200 looks like.

UT

oh. hope they have improved this and fixed all the glitches.

Anyway, here's what shown on the site where I bought it.
  • Tim McElwain
    Deanna I sent

you an e-mail with some information from Weil-Mclain. The 1310-100 is an older United Technology control used on some Gold Boilers the replacement is the 1310-200.
This discussion has been closed.