Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric tankless for primary in slab heat

Options
I swear I have read 40 pages and have not gotten my answer.

I am helping a buddy that is building a 46x52 post building.  16' ceiling height.  r19 side walls r40 ceiling. Metal inside and out. Six inch slab on 3 inches of OC 250pink board

two overheads  one is 22x14 r15 other is 16x14 r 15 one walkthrough likely to be r 10. three 100 ui windows these will be triple with kryton gas.r7-10

I have done a heatloss  approximately 35k btuph.

My dilemma he   wants to use electric wall hung unit. I was figuring on LP.(no natural gas for miles) This will be a glycol mix closed system with barrier pex.10 loops averaging 234 feet per.

Does anyone recommend a wall hung electric unit?Or should I persist he go with LP?

Thanks in advance.. It has been a few years since I have hung out at the wall.. Still many names I recognize here.

Comments

• 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Options
    Electric Boiler

Argo Boiler makes a decent electric. I specd out a whole snow melt job however it fell through. Remember once the system is past initial start up the boiler will be working on a temperature rise of not more than 20 degrees. Its not as bad as it sounds. This company has a 20 year warranty also.
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Fuel cost comparison

With Libya messing with oil prices who knows how LP will be effected.  But I would do a cost comparison of the fuel types. 

Depends where you are at what electric rates are. Here in northern Illinois Electric is about 12.5 cents a kilowatt after end user fees. So NG definitely cheaper.

As far as an electric boiler it will do the job just fine if sized right, they even come with outdoor reset.

Gordy
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Electric boiler

I have had great luck with Thermolec electric boilers.  Service and warranty are great [I have local distribution and reps close by].  As with anything, parts availability are a must.  check your local suppliers for stock in your area.  Argo, Thermolec, Electro Industries all have great electric boilers, most with outdoor reset as well.  We use a lot of electric here in MN because our rates are low.  You'll find they lend a lot of flexibility in installation.  Good luck. 
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • Ericjeeper
    Ericjeeper Member Posts: 179
    Options
    Thanks to all that replied..

He is pretty adamant that he does not want LPG tank in the way. Not going to be the most cost effective system I am afraid..
This discussion has been closed.