Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Changed from Del .85/80B to Hago 1.10/80B, now gets small puffback at startup

So in an effort to resolve a small carbon buildup problem on the F4 bruner after about a month of good running operation I went with Peerless's recccomenation for the WBV-04 and installed the Hago 1.10/80B. Installed it, checked Z, S, electrodes are right on, good fuel supply and new filters.

Installed the Hago and now every start if you are next to the boiler you catch a small puffback smell, no noticeable smoke, but just enough to smell it which wasn't happening before.

Decided to recheck all measurements again and everything appears correct. I haven't used Hagos before, always Delevans with no issues. I also noticed that their was oil on the nozzle and base when I removed it. The tube is new and the nozzle was correctly torqued so I am wondering if posibbly the nozzle could be bad.

The burner is an AFG with the cleancut pump and genesys control with a 15 sec prepurge. It is a soft sounding clean light so no booms or other loud issues. Maybe Hago is not as good? Any ideas would be appreciated

Chris

Comments

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    edited February 2011
    What are the combustion.....

...readings now, compared to the Delavan?
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Hago/Delavan

A Delavan "B" in a blue tube is a solid nozzle. A Hago in a blue printed tube is a Semi-Solid nozzle. They aren't the same.
  • icesailor
    Nozzles:

Hado Solid nozzles have either a black cap or a green cap.
  • cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    Hago

It is a Black Cap Hago Solid, not the semi-solid
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I forgot the other thread

but why are you upsizing the nozzle?  And why Hago instead of the Delavan? 
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Excess air?

What was your CO2?  Sounds like a combustion problem.  Did you adjust for the higher firing rate?
  • cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    right on

You were right on, was a combustion problem, way to much air resolved and set correctly and she is running great. Thanks
  • icesailor
    Combustion Testing

Amazing what you can learn with combustion testing. Good on you for having a tester and knowing how to use it.

And there's all those out there who don't own them but don't need them because they have such "a good eye", they can tell by just looking at the fire. I wish I had developed that "eye" after all these years.

Maybe if you work at it long enough, you won't need a combustion tester and will develop "an eye" like them. Keep using the combustion tester until you develop it and can be like those guys. I haven't developed it yet. After 40+ years, I still haven't.

Amazing what you can find out from calling Tech Support.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    me too ice.

After all these years of looking at flame, I still can't do it.  But I have a 28 yr old journeyman that apparently can.

Yeah Right.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I've always

started off by eye, and fine tune with testers. One has to know what a good fire looks like as opposed to a bad one.
This discussion has been closed.