Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dirty Water

Options
plumber4
plumber4 Member Posts: 13
I recently installed a triangle tube boiler with indirect. There are several zones all run in pex with two pass Smith HE low temp baseboard. These are all feed from a Stainless steel manifold with flowmeters set at roughly .3gpm each. The water started clear and as the months have passed the flow meter lens look like tea or black coffee is running thru them. The only exposed metals in the system are from the primary, secondary and water heater pumps. Everything else is either stainless or copper. Is there a filter out there that will keep the system clear? I read on line that since the system is not exposed to sun and the pex is oxygen barrier that it will turn the water black but this does not make sense to me. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Dissolved Oxygen

Sounds like you have dissolved oxygen in your system. Is there an air separator and proper means for purging on the system? Was it thoroughly purged at start up? Do you have any leaks on the system? What type of expansion tank is there and where is it connected in relation to the primary pump?

I've got systems that have been running for years that haven't darkened the manifold flow gauges. Black water normally comes from oxygen mixing with iron or steel.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.