Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Using Boiler without the pump question

Options
Boiler pump questionA friend says he knows how to operate our old boiler system with radiators in each room...without the pump if the electricity goes off.That doesn't sound like a good idea to me...could someone help me out with this--I don't want the boiler to get ruined.

Comments

• RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    Options
    What??

I'm very confused, got more info on his idea??

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Use to be that way all the time...

Gravity hot water circulation, millivolt pilot generators and millivolt gas valves.

On some"newer" boilers, there was a switch on the relay that gave you an option of operating the burner on gravity circulation or pumped circulation.

If your gas valve requires 24 volts to open it, fugedaboudit...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Simpler times

Did not have to worry about the stincking power going out, and ya still had heat.

Like Mark said if the gas valve is 24 volts for get it. If not open the flo control valve, and let the laws of physics do the rest. The flo control valve has a lever on top,  unscrew to lift the weight in side. The weight usually slides up and down on the valve shaft when the circulator is used. When the circulator shuts off the weight drops in its seat which keeps gravity flow from circulating. Word of caution though the packing around the stem may start to leak when you mess with it. I know just ask me curiousity killed the cat.

Gordy
This discussion has been closed.