Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Log Millivolt Control Valve Problems

ramsby
ramsby Member Posts: 3
I have 2 sets of Monnessen Direct Vent gas logs.  This year when I turned them on we noticed a gas smell after a day with just the pilot lite.  I turned gas off. Gas company checked system for leaks and replaced the regulator.  They said there was a leak in both sets of logs.  I leak checked all the fitting on each set of logs and noticed gas slowly seeping out the end of the supply line when the pilot was lite.  Is this a faulty control valve? If so why would they both be doing this all of a sudden?  Do I have to replace entire valve at 300 bucks each?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    edited January 2011
    Yes those valves are passing

gas when in the supposed closed position. To prove the valves faulty remove all the wires going to the valves if you still have gas leaking the valves are bad.

How close are the valves to the logs? The reason I ask is that many designs on gas logs have the gas valves too close to the flame. Most gas valves are designed to only with stand around 175° F heat. Solution with the new valves is to locate them in a cooler location.
  • Tim McElwain
    yes

!
  • ramsby
    Checked em.

I checked the leak with the wires removed. There is a leak when the unit is in the pilot position and in the on position. There is no leak when pilot is off.  The valve is about 6 inches from the burner under firebrick. It doesn't seem to get to hot under there.  Is there no way to fix the valve?  The logs are only three years old. I hate to shell out another 600 bucks for two sets. It's odd that both off them are leaking all of a sudden.
  • Tim McElwain
    Gas valves are not

repairable they must be replaced when leaking. I would suggest relocating them if that is possible.

The reason the gas stops when the pilot is out is the pilot safety is ahead of the main valve system and is a 100% shut off system should the pilot go out.

Sorry you need new gas valves. I would check on possible warranty on the units.
  • ramsby
    Thanks

for the help.
This discussion has been closed.