Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 psi system.

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
Doing a pretty large gas piping job (at least for me its big) The job has 1  1.5"  2psi line running 280+ feet from the meter. I have 4 gas furnaces, a large tankless HW htr. and a grill/ oven/range to hook up to this. Is it possible to use a step down regulator to more than 1 appliance if it sized to do so... Ex. run a line to a maxitrol 325 at the kitchen bank  which is 415K BTU then increase to the proper pipe size as they are all next to each other.... ty,kpc

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Si

It's possible.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Yes it is done

what you do is size everything after the pounds to inches pressure (Maxitrol Regulator) just as though you are piping a normal job. That regulator will probably give you about 6" W.C. after the regulator

As for the 2 PSI line there are charts in NFPA 54 which would help to size that 1 1/2  280 foot line correctly, in other words you want make sure the 2 psi line can handle all the btu you have.

If you cant get hold of that chart give me a call 401-437-0557 or e-mail at gastc@cox.net and I will send it to you.
  • Tim McElwain
    Just looked it up save you a call maybe

Schedule 40 Metallic pipe,natural gas, specific gravity .6, 2.0 psi, 1.0 psi pressure drop, 1 1/2" pipe at 250 feet will handle 3, 210 CFH at 300 feet it will handle 2,910 CFH or around 3,210,000 BTU's to 2,910,000 BTU's 
  • kcopp
    Thanks Tim...

makes the job much easier. kpc
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Kevin...

Don't forget to leave lots of space (15' minimum) between the secondary regulators and any negative pressure reg's on high efficiency products, or you will meet the dueling regulator buzz....

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • kcopp
    THAT is ...

very helpfull.... I did not know that. This is a large scale job for me. Probabaly not for most guys here. ty,kpc
  • Tim McElwain
    Kevin what Mark

gave you is critical on a lot of these Mod/Con's especially on LP gas. I have had several instances of shut down or lockout that were solved by simply replacing the horizontal run to the equipment with a minimum 3/4" line At least 10 feet long or more..
  • kcopp
    No mod/cons here....

just a 4 furnaces 100k ea. , 1 Noritz (380k), and   Com. kitchen appliances... 420K worth... all Nat gas. Does that run in need to be totally horizontal or just a run after the maxitrol?
  • Tim McElwain
    Kevin, no need

for the run with what you have. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.