Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Understanding

Rich0798
Rich0798 Member Posts: 2
im working for an hvac installer,im having trouble understanding the whole concept of boilers.We do mostly steam and hot water boilers and im trying to understand the whole theory and the wiring for these boilers,the burnhams usually come pre-wired with all the controls on them.My question is how can I learn in a simple way,how to install these boilers from piping in the header,to the wiring and what all the controls do.I learn fast but im at the point where i have to be told what to do and i carry it out without problems,I want to be able to walk on a job and know exactly what to do without instructions.how can i gain this knowledge in the simplest terms,im learning very slowly and need to speed up my pace so i too can be an installer and make some real money,Please help,Thank you.

Richie

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    What part of

the country are you in Richie?

Right now learn as much as you can from those you are working with. There is plenty of written material available some of which you can purchase here on Dan's site.

Do you have a license? Are hours of training required in your state?

Be patient with your self and realize none of us learned this stuff overnight. I have been at it for over fifty years and I still learn something new everyday.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Patience Grasshopper

You want to gain knowledge in your chosen field without any problems and make the big bucks..Hmmm....For the knowledge .... It will take years until one feels somewhat comfortable and years and years later to understand it could never be. On your daily quest you will encounter technical challenges laid down by men who are dead to those unborn as of yet,

Some of the answers you seek are scattered just under your feet ... Sheets of papers you have been stepping on, soaking up boiler water or those booklets you may have use as dust pans ... What you are learning now is the basics of your knowledge , an understanding which can grow into a sight if you like. To see the flow of the water, the burst of steam or follow the steam of electricity .... The grains of knowledge will not be collected by one person or one place or one thing. Take it all in but with a grain of salt young grass hopper ...

ok for the bucks... You want to make a living either use your head or your hands , you want to be successful use both...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Rich0798
    Rich0798 Member Posts: 2
    Understanding

Thanks for responding to my post,I  live in New york and a license is not required.I came to the conclusion after having a talk with my boss today that im expecting too much to soon,I am trying for now to understand what is the whole theory of a hot water boiler and steam boiler from the boiler to the pipes and the controls and the electric and what the controls do.I understand this may take time to gain this experience.What i need to start is a good books that can explain these thing n the simplest way,its frustrated for me to walk  on these jobs and have to be told what to do to a certain extent.I enjoy the hvac instals and want to continue,If you know of a good book for me to start i would appreciate it..Thanks again for responding and for the help,

Richie
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Send me an e-mail

at GASTC@cox.net and I will send you some information that will be helpful.

From here on this site I can recommend Dans book the Lost Art of Steam Heating and the Greening of Steam located in Books and More here on the site.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    For electrical questions it is hard

to beat Carol Fey books. as ebooks they are handy and cheap. http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/76/Carol-Fey-on-Electricity-Controls-and-Troubleshooting-E-book
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.