Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

buderus gb 142-45 fault

chrisO
chrisO Member Posts: 4
Is anyone familiar with fault 3c/217, boiler began tripping yesterday, no other problems in 3 years. Cleaned and reset ran for a while and locked out again and will only reset and run in chimney sweep mode and will continue to run for an hour plus after exiting sweep mode. Code is not in american manual others have found it in the french manual and it says replace box controller UBA combustion or fan. Any help would be appreciated Im not too familiar with these boilers I work in the commercial side of the business and this is my home boiler.

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    I have installed a bunch of these and never seen that code.

I have never seen that code before.

The 3's are all fan speed related.

It sounds like the combustion air fan that ramps up and down to draw fuel in through the negative pressure gas valve is malfunctioning.  It is probably not the fan, but the rpm sensor that tells the UBA that the fan is at the proper speed for the desired firing rate. 

In the chimney sweep mode it is going to high fire and the working off the high limit.  No need for combustion fan feedback.  Since the fan appears to be running, I would try the UBA, but not until I spoke with Buderus tech support.

I have a installed and serviced almost a hundred of these units and never had that code or problem.  1-800-BUDERUS.  If you don't get anywhere let me know and I will see if I have any other contacts.  Not going to get anyone on a Sunday afternoon though.

Good Luck.
  • chrisO
    Thanks

thanks for the reply, will be contacting buderus in the morning and will post here what i find im sure someone else will run into the same problem. Found 2 posts about the 3c fault online in various places but no repair results. Funny that the code is in the french manual but not the american manual.
  • chrisO
    code 3c/217 bad tach in motor

talked to buderus and told them my codes and problem, they where familiar with the issue and said it was a bad tachometer in the combustion motor. Grabbed the last motor around and im up and running. Also i was able to run the heat by pulling the 4 prong plug on the blower motor when the ignitor was on, this causes the fan to speed up an down, then just put the plug back in and it will light and run normal until the call for heat ends and will trip on the next call, but it beats having no heat.
  • chrisO
    code 3c/217 bad tach in motor

talked to buderus and told them my codes and problem, they where familiar with the issue and said it was a bad tachometer in the combustion motor. Grabbed the last motor around and im up and running. Also i was able to run the heat by pulling the 4 prong plug on the blower motor when the ignitor was on, this causes the fan to speed up an down, then just put the plug back in and it will light and run normal until the call for heat ends and will trip on the next call, but it beats having no heat.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Thanks for the feedback.

I wrote those notes down in my 142 service manual.

"If you don't learn something new everyday, your not trying very hard."
This discussion has been closed.