Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Humidifier Question

Kungur
Kungur Member Posts: 49
I have radiant heatpresently heating my house. I also have a gas forced air system. Can I run the forced air system with a humidifier "without" the burner firing?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Depends...

What make and model is your humidifier?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Kungur
    Kungur Member Posts: 49
    Humidifier Question

I do not have a wholehouse unit at this point. Trying to decide if it is a feasible way to go or should I get "portable" units.

Thanks
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Can Be Done...

With a steam or flow-through type humidifier. A flow-through would have to be connected to the hot water line and provision made to energize the fan on a call for humidity. One of Honeywell's TH8000 series thermostats can provide this function, plus humidity control. Their "True Steam" humidifiers have the fan function built in. You would need a humidistat + an isolation relay added with most standard flow-through units.

A flow-through connected to gas water heater should cost less to operate than the steam unit because gas is generally cheaper than electricity for heating water.

I would not use any type of humidifier that has a reservoir, fixed or portable. They are breeding ground for mold and bacteria.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.