Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ignitor isn't firing

AlecD
AlecD Member Posts: 2
I have an older Rheem combo unit.  Last year we had the heat exchanger replaced and we had blazing hot heat.  I just tried to turn on the unit and only 2 of the 3 gas ignitors is firing. 

Can I test the ignitor?  I assume I would test for continuity to verify that the ignitor isn't somehow broken.

Can I use a propane torch to light the gas in that chamber to verify that gas is coming out?

Will I be able to buy a replacement ignitor without an HVAC license?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I believe you are

talking about the burners not igniters. Typically there is only one igniter on a furnace or boiler bur several burners. I would have a professional take a look at it as you are having a definite combustion issue.
  • AlecD
    AlecD Member Posts: 2
    Right.

Yes.

I didn't take a very close look the first time and assumed there were 3 ignitors. 

The ignitior is on the far left burner and the far right burner wasn't igniting.  The bleedover from burner 1 to burner 2 was happening, but it wasn't happening from burner 2 to burner 3. 

I tapped on the space between burner 2 and 3 and then it bled over and lit up burner 3.  Must have been some corrosion or something built up in that space.

If this continues to be a problem, can I find the burners and install them myself? 
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Beware.....

I understand you want to attack this problem yourself, but call your professional tech.  Are you sure the orifices arent plugged?  You can buy new burners and still have the same problem.  This is also how home owners get hurt and or killed.  Dont skip on safety,....I'm tired of reading in the paper that people are getting hurt or even dead because of lack of maintenance.....NO JOKE

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.