Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica bolier only heating one zone of the house

MROG
MROG Member Posts: 4
I have a utica boiler model # m-150-agb-2 (natural gas). I only have heat operating in one zone in the house. When I turn on the thermostat in the other zones it never kicks on.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Do you have

zone valves or multiple circulators? The fact that heat is working in one zone says the boiler side is probably okay and it is a problem with the relays or zone valves for the zones not working. How many zones are we talking about?
  • MROG
    zones

I have a thermostat in the basement, one upstairs, sun room (the only one working) and the living room. The upstairs and living room are controlled by a ritetemp wall unit. Never had the problem in the 4 years I lived here. I figured it wasn't the bolier seeing that one zone is working, but it's perplexing to me that I can't get heat to the rest of the house.
  • MROG
    zones

I have a thermostat in the basement, one upstairs, sun room (the only one working) and the living room. The upstairs and living room are controlled by a ritetemp wall unit. Never had the problem in the 4 years I lived here. I figured it wasn't the bolier seeing that one zone is working, but it's perplexing to me that I can't get heat to the rest of the house.
  • MROG
    zone valves

I see three zone valves in the basement (Taco).
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Turn down the thermostat

that is working and turn the other two all the way up. Go to the zone valves and if you have a multi-meter see if you have 24 volts to terminals 1 and 2 on the zone valves. The one that does not is the zone that is probably working. If you have 24 at the other two gently push down on the little lever on the zone valves if it gets about half way down and resists going any further then the zone valve heads need replaced. Allow about two to three minutes for the valves to open and the resistance to cease which will allow you to push the levers all the way down. If the levers will not push all the way down as already stated the heads need replaced. As a final check take a short piece of wire and jump out terminals 2 and 3 the system should come on. The jumper is only a temporary check do not leave them jumped.

If it turns out the two heads are bad leave the two levers pushed all the way down so you can get heat. Then call a pro to come and replace the heads.

If all this is a bit much for you then call a professional.
  • Lheat
    Lheat Member Posts: 2
    zone valves???????

Hello I have a 1920's 1.5 house with a boiler and 6 zones. Last couple years I have been having problems with the zones and some rooms are cold at times. This year the entire second floor  ad the living room won't warm up. I  tried to bleed the heaters and I don't even get water out..... I think the zones need replacement because I can feel the water cold a few feet away from the zone when I touch the pipes....I had a company come to evaluate the problem and they were not sure what it was. The man said he needed to bring some one else......The boiler went off after their evaluation and I had to wait until the next day for them to come. My unlce, who is an electriian had to fix it that same night because the temperature was 22.......The "evalaution" costed me $100.00 and all they did was  mess up the boiler by creating n electrical short circuit. Should I ask for the zones to be replaced or could it be some thing else? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.