Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New homeownership and baseboard heating

Hey Everyone,

I was searching the internet for a specific answer and came across this site. Bear with me as I will probably confuse many. We have baseboard gas (hotwater?) heaters currently. They seem old and are metal or cast iron perhaps? I can't find a picture anywhere, but my question is, we want to change the covers for an updated look. How can I accomplish this?


  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,046
    On old stuff

    You could post a picture and perhaps someone will recognise what you have. Beyond that, generally, I think you will find it difficult to attach a different style cover to old baseboard. Having said that I have been known to be all wet. The question to me is how much of a project do you want to make of this? In my home I just bit the bullet and as I renovated different rooms I'd just cut out the old and start fresh. That worked for my wife, so I guess that means it worked for me too!
  • Breakthecycle2
    Breakthecycle2 Member Posts: 34

    I don't mind a bit of a project as I have the time. IF someone could identify what exactly we have and let me know the best way to proceed. I would really appreciate it! Thanks for your post!
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,216
    We just need a photo

    It could be Slantfin or Sterling and each has several lines. I often get this question and it seems it gets to the pricing stage and what is involved to do it and no further. You could also use radiant panels or radiant panel radiators to replace them. It would be a good time to increase the amount of radiation so you can lower the system supply temperature to realize a fuel savings.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

    cell # 413-841-6726
  • Breakthecycle2
    Breakthecycle2 Member Posts: 34

    Dumb question, how do I replace them? I have an idea and I will not be just jumping into this. I want to make sure I do it right.
This discussion has been closed.