Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe insulation for radiant tubing?

All of my radiant tubing between baseboards runs through the ceiling/walls of a currently unfinished (and unheated) basement. Should I wrap that tubing with the foam pipe wrap insulation to prevent heat loss? I assume the answer is yes, but just wondering about best practices, etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Yes

Definitely insulate the home-runs to take control of your unwanted gains to spaces.

There ARE times when a home-run loop can afford a margin of heating or semi-passive freeze protection, but this does not sound like one of those.

On a radiant floor design I did for a performing arts center in Western MA, we specified Armaflex on the home-runs. Had we not done that, the interior would have been over-radiated by a factor of three and not at all comfortable and with no recourse.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Insulation

Code calls for min 3/4" wall neoprene or fiberglass pipe covering in unheated or unconditioned spaces.
  • Sweet_Lew
    Sweet_Lew Member Posts: 116
    edited October 2010
    Basement temps

I was thinking of doing this to, since my basement is unfinished and un-insulated. However, by insulating the pipes, will that cause temps to drop in the basement which can lead to frozen pipes? Or does code call for ALL water pipes to be insulated?
This discussion has been closed.