Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Practice for Bladder tank install

Options
INLINE
INLINE Member Posts: 2
Bladder-type expansion tank Best PracticeWhen installing a Bladder Expansion tank into a boiler piping setup, what is the best practice for piping size selection? There are 1/2" and 3/4" tanks available but it seems if the tank hangs 1' or more from its feed (from a T connector), the 1/2" could be an issue at some point. meaning if / when the bladder breaks down internally  and the tank fills with more water than when it was new, it would be much heavier. If 1/2 " copper is used, it seems the weight could break 1/2" piping joint easily if extended very far from the "T "of the feed., I am thinking 3/4" is better to support the tanks weight when compromised.. Are there any guidelines to review for piping specs on a given tank?  (maybe manufacturers)? Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Tensile Strength

The tensile strength of copper will support more than you think, but the bending moment? Not so much.

Two schools of thought, maybe three:

1) Mount your tanks on the floor even remotely from the connection point. I use an old Wok ring as a floor support to keep them from tipping and use a 300 psi rated braided hose to connect it, if in close-confines. Makes it easier to move if you need to and no support issues.

2) Hanging from the pipe, 1/2" should be fine, 3/4" even better. Talking #30 tanks here, not the large ones. Put pipe hangers on each side of the dropping tee though.

3) Some installers put them in stem-down. I never have but there is merit to that. If you do go this way, use threaded Sch. 40 iron or brass pipe and support accordingly. I too would feel uneasy if just copper, unless the coupling distance was short and the main it attached to was 1-1/4" or larger. But Sch. 40, I would not worry about it.

My $0.02

Brad
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    another way ...

I commonly use is a drop ear 90 w/ 3 ears run from the "airscoop" area w/ heat pex or Fosta pex, attached to a floor joist w/ long screws. This gets it out if the way of the boiler for future cleaning and allows it to be removed easier. 
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    I like that

Kevin. Neat especially if near a wall.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.