Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Advice for finding a good Radiant professional locally

Options
Howdy;

I live in an area that's pretty far from any of the professionals listed here, and am trying to come up with the smartest use of hydronic radiant as the primary heating method for an old building I'm converting to my home. I've read and re-read one of Dan's books on radiant heat, and understood it pretty well. It was originally written in... 1993 I think, so I'm wanting to find a decent professional to help me plan and install a radiant system who is up to date on what's going on in the industry. Part of the system will be a staple-up to maintain an existing wood floor (it's 115 years old, and very stable), and I think it's reasonable that I could do the labor on this portion of the job while still making it a worthwhile project for the HVAC folks.

So I'm looking for advice and a second opinion - advice on how to locate a smart radiant person in an area that seems to be 99% forced air, and a second opinion on whether it's fair of me to want to take on a good chunk of the labor costs (assuming I pay them for any consultation/education time, buy the boiler through them, and have them do final pressure testing & equipment installs).

I live in the central illinois area of the US, btw, if you have any names you would recommend.

Thanks for any advice. If you need any details on the project itself, I'll be happy to bore you to death with the details. =)

Comments

• hydronx_3
    hydronx_3 Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2010
    Options
    RPA

Try Checking the Radiant Panel Association's website for a member contractor.

www.radiantpanelassociation.org
  • EyePulp
    EyePulp Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Good advice, just no one nearby

The RPA didn't list anyone nearby.

Trying to decide if I need to go solo on this or if there's a way to find the expertise nearby.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.