Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant tube identifaction

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,104
i recently went and looked at a boiler replacement job and noticed that a addation was put on the house and they had some one do radiant slab on grade upon looking at the remote manifold whih was 3 loops i notied one loop was watts heat pex due to it's orange color and the other 2 loops where red pex i could not get any number off of it at the time but i have never seen a red o2 barrier tubing .I had asked a buddy who uses alot of pex and he said he has seen red o2 barrier pex i have not i will go back and see if i can get any numbers off of it but i suspect that it is not o2 barrier .The radiant is controlled by a standard taco mixing valve if i have to add a plate heat exchanger what's the thoughts on feeding it off of a zone valve from the boiler side i know i will need a larger pump then what  comes with the boiler and was thinking of using a wilo stratos instead of having 2 pumps off the boiler then 2 zone valves for the existing system ,i have no  idea how the ci pump on the system looks and wheather they are  showing  any signs of corrison the boiler does look like it is suffering from some condensation being the burners have a built up of white crap on them and there is alot of debrie under them also .I will have to do a heat lose being they just added the radiant onto the system being that a boiler replacing probalby was not in the budget when they did the addition.They will be sticking to a cast iron boiler most likely a buderus it makes no sense puting a mod con in the house it is baseboard and from the looks it does not have alot so lower water is temp is out of the question and around here adding even the buderus logamatic control with its added price will probalby be out of the question thanks peace and good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Zurn

Maybe Zurn's pex. For a short time work for a Winnelson that sold Zurn and the hepex was red.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Red tube, Red tube, Red tube....

Kinda like Redrum.

There was a poly butylene non ox barrier tube that was red, and numerous potable water tubes, non oxygen, that are also red.

If you are unsure as to wether or not it is barrier or non barrier, best treat it (fluid maintenance) as non barrier.

Rhomar.com

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • JharrisSeattle
    JharrisSeattle Member Posts: 26
    -

Could be Mr.Pex tubing.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    A lot of barrier pex is red

I've installed thousands of feet of O2 barrier pex that was red in radiant floors. Look to see if it says " oxygen barrier" or "type B" on the tubing. Another thing to look for is if the tubing has an outer shiny, clear coating on it then it's O2 barrier tubing.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,104
    thanks

Thanks to all for the response ,i am going off what types of o2 barrier tubing which is commonly used in my area usually wisbro ,watts and some zurn and alot of heatway stuff ,i have yet to get back and try to get a number off of it espically since not much of the tubing is exposed but i'm gonna try and get a number off the 2 loops that are not watts which is why i was kinda thinking it is not o2 type tubing cause i know in my area there are alot of guys who don't even know what o2 barrier tubing is or whatt the differene is and will use any tubing that is laying around thanks again peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.