Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ignition problem!

adambuild
adambuild Member Posts: 414
Hi Wallies,

I got a call from a recent customer saying that their indirect is not working. I check out the situation and find the following: W/M HE-6 boiler with induced draft, W/R Ignition Module locked out and inducer motor blowing. I reset the module by interrupting power. Ignitor got bright red, gas valve clicked, lit but shut down within two seconds. Flame sensor issue? If so, can it be fixed, cleaned, tested? Any ideas? Problem happens sporadically.

Thanks, Adam

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Could be either or...

Either flame rectification OR fan confirmation.

Both will cause this problem.

Once the burner lights, the density of the air changes, and the pressure switch may be dropping out, thinking the blower is out.

the flame sensor may be dirty, pr poorly grounded, or the flame is lifting, causing it to lose site of the flame.

Not easy to track down. You'll have to be there to see it and determine what is causing the issue. Take all 3 parts (fan switch, ignition module and flame sensor).

Doesn't that ignition module give a blinking light failure indicator telling what caused it to lock out?

And it could be something else... A lot of help I am eh :-)

Good luck.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • freddrow2002
    freddrow2002 Member Posts: 18
    clean flame senser

remove senser clean with cloth or sand paper. put back together. make sure senser is getting flame contact
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    igniter

Does it have a separate flame sensor rod? Sometimes when it senses through the igniter they will get micro cracks still glow but won't sense the flame.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    edited August 2010
    I believe that HE model uses the igniter

as a sensor so it can't be cleaned, replace it. What is the number on the White Rodgers control as there was one version with problems.

By the way I have a check out procedure for those systems which make it pretty easy to troubleshoot.
This discussion has been closed.