Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dotcha just hate that dripping sound......

Options
Steve Ebels_3
Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
I have a Trane TWE090 airhandler in a system that  I service that is giving me fits. It's oriented horizontally in a small attic.  There are 9 AHU's in this attic of various sizes but this one, being the furthest away from the access opening is of course the one that leaks condensation down into the office space below.

Long story short, the drain is clear, I have cleaned the coil twice, static pressure is normal with no restrictions in the duct system, drain pan is not rusted through but the condensate seems to get sucked off the coil and into the cabinet. Which of course, leaks. I am looking for suggestions or someone with an explosives license so the unit could be removed from the face of the earth,     :) 

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    long shot

Steve, but how sound is the return ductwork? I had one last week, Carrier VS 2.5 ton horizontal I installed in 2003 flood a ceiling. Did all you did, all ok. Then I noticed an 8" sticky coller on the return half hanging off. My tinman apparently ran out of zip screws that day and it took 7 years for the collar to slip.

Unit was sucking humid attic air,  evap was sweating excessively and the blower was flinging the water out the supply plenum-past the secondary drip pan.

Made up a 7 foot long pan, installed a wet switch, and screwed that collar tight. Hasn't come back.  

This something new? Splash guards have always been there?
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    It's a head scratcher

The unit has been in service since 1997 when the building was constructed. All of them have been near constant headaches because the building owner refuses to do any maintenance unless something actually breaks or causes a problem. Usually they issue is something simple like low refrigerant or a plugged drain but all the normal stuff checks out this time. Just trying to come up with what is different this time and I'm not seeing it.
This discussion has been closed.