Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam returns

johngas
johngas Member Posts: 2
I have a two-pipe system and when i run it some of the returns do not heat up and some do - is this a trap problem and if so which traps are working correctly the returns that are hot or returns that are cold.  The radiators do heat up on both situations

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    bad traps?

my guess that some traps have failed open, and are allowing some steam into the returns. the good traps are closing when steam arrives, and therefore the return is cold. probably, new trap insides are available for these, which would make it an easier repair job.--nbc
  • johngas
    johngas Member Posts: 2
    steam traps

Thanks - the steam traps are Barnes and Jones Thermostatic type which can be replaced fairly easily so I will try it
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Testing Steam traps

Home Depot sells a Ryobi Infared thermometer (Model # RP4030) for about $70. "Santa" brought me one last Christmas which I've found is a great help for checking trap function.   It has an lazer pointer that you can target on the area where you want to take the temperature. I would hold close (less than a 1 foot away) when taking the temperature as the farther you step back, the larger the area it samples.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.