Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Paloma Pak PP-12 questions

Mari
Mari Member Posts: 2
I'm a homeowner with a Paloma-Pak PP-12 which my regular plumber said he couldn't fix. The system still heats the house, but has a  slow water leak (a drop every 2 minutes or so) , and the plumber said the leak is coming from a part that he couldn't replace. Unfortunately he left before I could ask the name or show me the part, but I'm sure I could call him back to find out.

I landed on this website doing Google searches. I've called Gurley in Walthan - I'm not very far from there - and asked whether they have the heat exchanger for this system, for instance. They didn't have any in stock but will call me back. I'm basically trying to see how available these parts might be.

I'm trying to find a plumber who is knowledgeable about these systems and might be able to do major work on it, if the parts are available. How can I go about finding someone in my area?

The second question has to do with the CO output of these systems. I had an energy audit person here at my house (in the hopes that I could get a loan from the state to replace the system) and he measured the amount of CO coming out of the system. He placed the probe at the junction with the chimney. He's supposed to get a number that is 400 or below ppm, and the reading was actually above 2300. I have a CO alarm right just two feet from the chimney, and we tested it and it's working, and the alarm has never gone off, so it seems the CO was all going out the chimney, but nevertheless, he had to call the gas company to shut the gas going to the boiler (protocol). Will a correctly working Paloma Pak output less than 400 ppm?

Thanks for any answers. I'm not adverse to replacing the system if that is what is required in this case, but if it can truly be fixed for thousands less than a new energy efficient boiler, I'd like to try that.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    That CO reading is way

over what should be picked up on the Paloma Pak. The air free CO reading should be less than 100 PPM. When those units start making high levels of CO it means the heat exchanger is going. The fact that it is leaking water says there also may be a hole somewhere. R.L. Gourley is the only one I know of who can still get parts. Send me an e-mail and I will connect you up with someone who may be willing to travel to your location from here in RI. My e-mail is gastc@cox.net.
  • Mari
    Mari Member Posts: 2
    Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I'll be in touch.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Hi Mari, how did you

make out with the company I hooked you up with?
This discussion has been closed.