Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vision 1 and taco multiple pumps

I am looking for the wiring for 4 pumps and vision 1 to lock out the heating pumps when there is a call for domestic hot water production. I am using a taco 504 and a 501 but I cant find the wiring pic. Please direct me If you can, Thanks, Mike

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    I Believe

You are talking about a Munchkin. Vision 1 already has DHW. You just need the zone controls for the heating pumps the Vision package will take care of the DHW.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Sol Hydronics
    Sol Hydronics Member Posts: 41
    Vision 1 and taco multiple pumps

Yes I know the vision 1 has a relay for DHW and one for heat. The wiring scamatic I am looking for deals with multiple pumps, one for each zone/ manifold. When there is a call to make DHW using the vision 1 a 501 control will kill the power to the 4 zone pumps conected to a 504 control. I have seen this scamatic befor but can't find it now. Thanks again, mike
  • CMadatMe
    Wouldn't You Then

Turn off priority on the zone control and take the end switch to "heat" on the vision one.When any circ called would tell the boiler to fire. When DHW is activated via Vision 1 wouldn't it not just power off "heat", high fire and then run DWH?
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Sol Hydronics
    edited July 2010

I think the zone pumps would still be running
  • Sol Hydronics
    edited July 2010

• CMadatMe
    edited July 2010
    Vision Manual

Here ya go page 8 is the wiring
  • Sol Hydronics

Thanks for the imfo. Because of the distance and size of each zone I used a pump for each manifold. The pumps will still run even if the call to turn on the boiler from the 504 is interupted by the vision on priority DHW. There is a way to do this by adding a 501 to the 504. That is the drawing I am looking for. I guess I just need to call taco Thanks anyways,, Mike
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited July 2010
    DHW Priority

Sol:

Using pumps for zoning is fine.  Using the Taco SR504 to control the pumps is fine as well.  And Chris is correct:  When you wire the DHW circulator through the Vision 1 Control:

"This will allow the installer to control the temperature of the indirect from the

Munchkin and give the Indirect Fired Water Heater priority over the Central Heating Circuit. Once the Water Heater is satisfied, the Munchkin will then switch back to the Central Heating Circuit only if there is a call for heat, otherwise the Munchkin will then shut down." (Page 9 of the instruction manual - see Chris' link above).
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    edited July 2010
    ECM pumps

I think Sol's concern is the zone pumps running while the DHW is in priority. I think the only reason to not having the zone pumps run may be an electrical consumption issue, am I right Sol? If so; you should consider ECM pumps.

HTP may have a solution within their control package. If nothing else, install a flow switch on the DHW loop and power the 504 through the N.C. contact on the switch.
  • DHW Priority

I get it.

Why not get a SR506 then and have it control priority?  That will certainly turn off the other pumps when in DHW mode.

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    re read

I re read Sol's original post and it sounds like he's already married to the  SR501 and SR504. Here is the schematic to make that work : http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/100-9.0.pdf  You would need to buy an aquastat and do away with the Vision One indirect sensor. I believe the Vision One control will still work with all the rest of it's features utilizing a mechanical control for the indirect.

Alan is right, I think it would have been cheaper and less wiring to buy the SR 506 in the 1st place..But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
  • Link doesn't Work

Try that one again, please.

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Link sort-of works...

Clicking on that link does not work, but if you copy the link and paste it into the browser's bar (top center in Firefox), it will work that way.
  • Sol Hydronics

I thank you all for your responces. I have done many vision 1 installs and know how it works. I lost the drawing for the wiring for what I want to do. Once I find it I will post it for everyone. The reason I want to kill the power to the zone pumps is because i do not in any way want 180* water going to my 1 3/4 concrete floors. I have used the 501 befor to open, i think the zc/zr on the 504 and that kills the 110volt to the pumps. I think the 501 power comes from the heat relay in the munchkin and the t t for the 504 is hooked to the gray t t in the munchkin. The plumbing is done just as the book shows using 1 pump for domestic production and 2 close t hooked to secondary loop with scoop, pumps ect. There is a heat trap but I just dont want to chance any heat migration durring production of hot water. Thanks all. Mike
  • Post-Purge

Aha - now we know what you're up to.

You can use a SR506-EXP with a Taco PC600 Post-Purge plug-in card to drop the water temperature. You can adjust the post-purge time from 10 seconds to 420 seconds (7 minutes).

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/102-094.pdf

It will run you about $45 plus the additional price of the larger pump control.

• CMadatMe
    edited July 2010
    PC 600 Card

I use the PC-600 card with the Vitodens 100. You can wire a zone control just as you would with the last zone as priority. Plug in the 600 card. Priority is now run through the board to the card. Take the normal end switch on the zone control to heat and then take the extra XX on the 600 card to DHW. Will do the same. The control will shut down the heat pumps and the Vision 1 control will shut down heat. Once domestic is satisfied the SR control will then run the heat pumps. Must be an EXP version zone control though.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    post pump time

One nice thing about the W-M Ultra 3 series boilers is that all this seems to be included in their "U-control" control board. It has three temperature inputs: one is Priority 1, one is Priority 2, and one is Priority 3. Normally, Priority 1 is for indirect fired hot water heater, Priority 2 is for heating, and Priority 3 is spare. I use Priority 2 for my radiant slab downstairs and Priority 3 for my baseboard strips upstairs.

Each priority has a separate setting for Pre-Pump time (default 20 seconds), Post-Pump time (default 30 seconds). These times can be from 0 to 240 seconds. Outdoor Reset is standard. Warm water shutdown is standard. For each priority, you can set the reset curve as you like. It can control 3 circulators (I wish it did 4). It has circulator exercising feature and Freeze Protection feature for each circulator. And still more features I won't bore you with.

The only thing I needed added is an extra Honeywell RA832A relay to operate the fourth circulator. If I had to do it over, I might use zone valves and an ECM circulater for the heating zones instead of two circulators.
This discussion has been closed.