Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless Gas Boiler, Multiple Ignitions/Short Cycling.

Options
JMazz
JMazz Member Posts: 1
I have an older Peerless Gas atmospheric boiler(1986 is the year of the boiler), it has electronic ignition.  The problem I have been having is that the boiler ignites several times before staying lit (this happens more when the boiler has not been run in >30min).  The boiler will get a call for heat, ignite the burners and after about 2-3 seconds will shut down and then do the same thing 1 or 2 more times before it stays lit(due to the multiple quick on/off cycles I get a noticeable gas smell for a few minutes around the boiler).   Any suggestions on what is wrong w/ the unit or how to troubleshoot?  I had 1 plumber in, and he was no help. 

On a second topic, I am leaning towards replacing the boiler with a Triangle Tube Prestige w/ hot water storage tank, or a TT Excellence..  My question is, for a 4br, 2.5 bath house is the Excellence hot water capacity enough?  We also have a large soaking Tub...I have heard that they are not the best for houses over 2bath or that have multiple hot water demands a one time(washer/dishwasher/shower)..anyone have any experience with the Excellence hot water production?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    As for your

ignition problem, get in touch with me by e-mail at gastc@cox.net I will e-mail you a step by step procedure for your plumber to follow, better yet have them get in touch with me.

The TT Excellence may not satisfy your hot water requirements so an indirect would be a better way to go with the TT heating the indirect for your domestic hot water needs. TT offers an indirect that goes with their unit.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    You could search the find a pro area at the top of the page

As we have learned working on boilers is not a hobby. Gas is less than safe to play with. Smelling gas is also not the place to be guessing what is wrong. Remember not all plumbers are created the same.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.