Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any Fed/state programs for NYS new boiler?

Hollis
Hollis Member Posts: 105
Have a steam system that needs upgrading  sometime soon and wondering if there is much as far as some help to defray this cost. I understand there is a 1,500 tax break for improvements by the Fed. That that apply to new boilers?

OK I understand we don't talk money here in dollars but with a car salesman in the family, he tells me when that when they have big factory rebates the car dealerships often charge more for  their cars because they show the potential buyer  what a good deal they are getting with the rebates. I hate to ask for  estimates because they have to get in to all apts  measure radiators and I don't want to waste their time. I'm not looking for a super bargain but a fair price.

(If I measure all the radiators length and width would that help (however we have added storm windows and wall and ceiling insulation so I don't know how this can be figured.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Hollis

Is this gas or oil? Where in NY are you? You could check with your local utility company. If it is Central Hudson your out of luck because they ran out of money. Orange and Rockland still has funds available. You have to start with a heat loss and someone needs to measure the sqft of EDR for those rads. No way out of that. If you want a fair price ask for references from a prospective contractor and do your homework. Best of luck
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    No steam boiler

is any eligible for any tax credits or utility rebates in NYS.If you are converting to gas there are some breaks
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Hollis
    Hollis Member Posts: 105
    yep,..Hudson

Yes its in the city of  Hudson  Columbia county.

Its oil right now. I was thinking on going to gas and getting say a HB Smith that could be converted to either if something happened to either supply.

So how does sq ft of radiators now apply to a building that has been air sealed via  a blower door , insulation and storm windows?  (Sigh,..finally got the building balanced so that the temps are about all the same) That took a lot of tweeking over a long time,...
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    If you

If you can remove some radiation to more closely match the heat loss you can size the new boiler to that. But you must size the boiler to the radiation with steam,not the heat loss
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.