Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you connect a WR1361 to Taco ZVC406 for DHW

Hey_Obie
Hey_Obie Member Posts: 66
I am in the process of adding indirect DHW to my existing boiler. I am adding a TACO ZVC406 zone valve control. I am adding Taco zone valves for the heating zones and they are very straight forward. The connectors on the Taco zone valves are numbered 1,2,3 and they connect on the ZVC406 in the same order 1,2,3.

For the indirect DHW, it was suggested that I install a White Rodgers1361 zone valve because it opens faster and has better flow. However, I can not figure out how to connect it to ZVC406 with priority on Zone 6 (there are 4 terminals for each valve numbered 1,2,3,4). There are 5 terminals on the WR zone valve and the documentation is extremely poor and confusing. There are 3 terminals on the top row and 2 terminals on the second row.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    edited April 2010
    Miss Match Choice of Zone Valve

Mike ,

I also find White Rogers instructions to be poorly writing and illustrated ... Well to get back to your problem .... The WR zone that was recommended was not the best choice for your Taco zone control . See that WR zone valve is a power open and power close model. Used on a single pole , double throw control ... You have a single pole , single throw control ...

It can be creatively wired , I am saying that because Taco does not have it illustrated ... By using the set of zone 6 dry contacts lower left on the board,next to the end switches , taco offers as an option for an independent DHW pump. Which is a single phase , double throw relay ....

One way...Using the normal closed and common terminals on that zone 6 dry contact relay.... The center and far right terminals are normally closed.... But you would need to pick up and find the right phase 24 V off the board , run it through the zone 6 dry contact relay and then to the power close terminal on that White Rogers zone valve ... The three ganged ZV terminals , one would be common which would go to 2 on the board , the power open terminal would go to 1 on the board ... The other two ganged zone valve terminals would be the end switch they would go to 3&4 on the board .... Or you can just use the zone 6 dry contact relay and phase the two commons which may be less confusing ...

The kicker is finding out which 24 V power supply is used for the zone valves or are they twin phased ... And where can you phase in and be under the protection of the on board fuse ..

Confused and unsure ? Me too ... I would return the WR zone valve and buy a fast open and self closing valve , like the HoneyWell ... Full port Honeywell would be best ... Then an easy connect to your zone control , 1&2 on board to the zone valve motor and 3&4 connect to the end switch of the valve .... Done !!!
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Hey_Obie
    Which Honeywell?

Ed,

Which Honeywell would you recommend. I have a 1" feed to the indirect.
  • Big Ed_4
    V8043F

Either the V8043F1101 , terminal type or the V8043F1079 which is the lead type ...
  • Nick W
    Nick W Member Posts: 200
    edited April 2010
    WR 1361 Zone Valve wtih TACO Zone Valve Control

TACO has an instruction sheet just for this zone valve at page 51 of http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/100-9.0.pdf

Zone Valve 1 to Control 1

Zone Valve 2 to Control Right TT

Zone Valve 3 to Control 3

Zone Valve 4 to Control 2

This is the way mine is wired, and it works just fine. Remember, the WR 1361 has about a 35 second delay before it starts to close.

The flow rate with a WR 1361 will be almost twice the flow rate than with a Honeywell V8043F.
  • Big Ed_4
    Nice

Ok now I like it , Thanks Nick for clearing this up and the lesson on the flow rate .... Why wouldn't Taco add the 1361 to the the 406 literature , but add the 406 in a note in the 505 literature ?? Trying to make us think out side the box is a possibility :)
  • Nick W
    TACO needs to improve their documentation.

You are welcome, Ed.

Just try and figure out how to wire WR 1361 zone valves to a TACO ZVC when all the zone valves are 1361s and all the power for the valves comes from the ZVC terminals.
  • Hey_Obie
    I guess I am not an idiot

Thanks a lot guys. I thought I was asking a dumb question. I am glad I asked.

Obie
  • Big Ed_4
    No Such Thing...

...as a dumb Question ,Mike....So many controls and so little time . And as soon as you get the feel for a line , a new line comes out ... And it has to be countless ways to do the same thing ... Any smart person would ask
  • Hey_Obie
    Thanks Nick

I don't know how you found what I needed on page 51. You are awesome.

Obie
  • Hey_Obie
    WR1361 confusing - Why is it like this?

The terminals on the WR1361 are confusing me. There are a total of 6 terminals on this valve. There are 2 rows, with three terminals on each row (the strangest thing is that this is a 2 wire valve - get out).

What is confusing me (and the documentation says nothing about this) is the top row. There are 3 terminals, but they have placed 4 numbers over the 3 terminals. The numbers are 2 2 5 4. It appears to me that the middle terminal has 2 5 over it. I am assuming that the middle terminal is a 5. But why are they confusing me by putting 2 5 over the middle terminal?

The WR documentation is really really bad. There is no explanation for what the terminals are.

Thanks again
  • Nick W
    Terminals 2 & 5 are the same

There are only 5 terminals on a 1361 valve head; there are 6 on a 1311. Both 2 & 5 are the common terminals; they are the same terminals. This setup allows you to connect more wires to the common. So if you count 2 & 5 as one, there are only 4 terminals on a 1361 valve head.

Terminal 6 is missing on the 1361, as the valve is self closing as long as it has power. The 1311 valve has a terminal 6, as it is used to close the valve.

Terminal 1 is the 25-volt power terminal. Power must be connected to terminals 1 & 2/5 or the valve will not open or close.

Terminal 4 is used to open the valve. A 2-wire aquastat or thermostat would connect to terminals 4 and 2/5.

Terminal 3 is the end switch.
  • Hey_Obie
    Knuckle Head still trying to get it right

Nick,

I am confused by your last explanation about how to wire this 1361 to a Taco ZVC406 w/Priority.

What has me confused the most is when you said:

Terminal 1 is the 25-volt power terminal. Power must be connected to terminals 1 & 2/5 or the valve will not open or close.

So let me try to explain how I think I should wire it. The top 3 terminals on the 1361 zone valve are 2 2/5 4. The bottom 2 terminals are 1 3. So I need to amend the Terminal Assignment that you provided from the TACO documentation

Zone Valve 1 to Control 1

Zone Valve 2 to Control Right TT

Zone Valve 3 to Control 3

Zone Valve 4 to Control 2

Zone Valve 2/5 - EMPTY (2 and 2/5 are the same terminal)

The Aquastat from the indirect will connect to Control Left TT and Control Right TT (the wires from the aquastat are interchangable?).

All of this wiring is on Zone 6 of the TACO ZVC406. The Zone 6 Priority switch will be set to ON. There are no jumpers on the Zone 6 zone valve wiring block since is a zone valve setup and not a circulator pump setup.

Sorry to be so basic, just trying to be 100% correct. Not a lot of room for error.

Thanks again.

Knuckle Head
  • Nick W
    When I used the term "2/5"

I meant terminal 2 or 5, as they both are the same terminal.
This discussion has been closed.