Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

help your back/lighten your toolbox

Options
Coany
Coany Member Posts: 91
Four times a year our company has these safety meetings, given by an insurance guy named Justin. They are usually pretty standard follow the speed limit, drive courteously type stuff. Nothing you don't already know and I can see how reminding everybody is good business.

Last month Justin's meeting was about keeping your back healthy, lifting things properly to avoid injury. He talked me into going to my truck and bringing back my every call toolbox, he weighed it,he and I were both stunned to find it at 35 pounds. I immediately went through it and took out duplicates and less essential items. My pile of rejects amounted to 12 pounds and was returned to my larger truck tool  box.

I can now report Justin is a genius and my back feels much better at the end of the day.

Not that my back was hurt but  the ordinary stiffness of hard work is reduced.I feel better at the end of the day.

EVERYBODY should do this, Go through your box and take out the less needed crap that collects. Make your every call box lighter and save your back. Do it!
" Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Teddy Roosevelt

Comments

• You`re exactly right,,,,,

I "carry-in" so much,, that has tools I seldom use!

Besides,, walking back to the truck is good exercise and we get paid for it! :-)
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Good advice.

Last time I weighed my toolbox, it came in at 50 lbs. Now, I have four 25 pound boxes and buckets. No more grabbing my boxes and speed walking to the truck.

Also...invest in aluminum wrenches.
  • Hey JStar,,,,,

Yes I`m an "old-guy", but aluminum pipe wrenches have always turned me off,, I guess I need to "feel" the power(especially in the larger sizes),,,, how did you overcome that to yourself?
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited April 2010
    Options
    whoa !

I weighed my every call toolbox and it came in at a whopping 65lbs so I took your advise and now it's a meer 50lbs. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I use bags with over shoulder straps

every time I drop out tools I need them on the next call. I figure if I carry with the shoulder not swinging from the arm I will be better balanced. Also my old tool box was 1/4" diamond plate and 3/4" iron for a handle. It is 8" x20" x8" as that fit the threader handles well and the 18" pipe wrenches. Now I use a canvas bag.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.